Gaugemaster Ruby DCC 95 decoder

morairamike

Hi bought a Gaugemaster Ruby DCC95 decoder last week. Fitted it to a Dapol 121 DMU. Then I put it on the track and selected

Address 3. Turned control knob to 1 and away it went like a rocket. I then read the CVs but the SV was already at 000. At a setting of 1/128 it runs at a speed equivalent to 35/128 on my 2-EPB.

Looked on web and found someone else with same problem last year but no fix. Anyone got any suggestions.

Thanks.

I Have contacted Gaugemaster.

Not that this is not a great deal of help. Have you tried using a different decoder. I have some of those cheap LaisDCC ones for testing. I have one of those locos, but mine is fitted with a Zimo with sound and it runs perfectly ok, I would have noticed if it went too fast.

Ok the DCC 95 has been in a Class 121 and a class 416. In both it does the same thing, it runs ar equivalent of 35/128 at a setting of 1/128.

When a LaisDCC is in the the 416 it is fine. When a ESU5 sound decoder programmed by MarksTrains is in the 121 it is fine. It's a problem with the DCC95.

When I first stated fitting DCC into my locos I tried all sorts of DCC decoders in my locos, I just assumed they would all behave roughly the same, generally buying what was cheap at the time. Eventually though I found some behaved generally better than others, things like responding to dirty rails, indifference to a dropped signal, DCC runaway and several other things. I now stick to 2 or 3 types, surprisingly I found that the LaisDcc ones were vastly superior to some of the more expensive types. That is why I suggested changing the decoder, I have had no end of issue with that suppliers previous model. That one Jenny Kirk suggests is not that bad either.

Ok I've looked at the settings and ended up with the following.

Changed CV29 from 6 to 2. Tested no difference will not creep.

Back EMF

CV55 static compensation default is 128. Now set at 1

CV56 dynamic compensation default is 48. Now set at 12.

CV56 speed stabilisation-droop default is 6. Now set at 15.

Tested on the layout, now creeps and doesn't go off like a rocket.

Still waiting for reply from Gaugemaster. Will see what they say and report back.

For now happy.

• 3 weeks later...

Happy Christmas to one and all.

Well at long last the replacement has arrived. They agreed it was faulty. So I fitted it in a Bachman 416 2EPB which I had also fitted the original too. Put it on the track set address 3, pressed 128 speed steps, selected 1 and just the same as the original, no creep about speed 34/128 at setting 1.

So back to square one.

Do any of you have this decoder and if so how does yours operate, will it creep.

There is a section in the set up sheet, that refers to Scaleable Speed Stabilisation (Back EMF) this uses CV55 Static compensation, default 128; CV56 Dynamic Compensation default 048; CV57 Speed Stabilisation-Droop default 006.

Can anyone tell me if changing these and which one will help.

Looks like I'll have to send it back for a refund if I cant set it up to creep.

I think my units are fitted with LaisDCC 21 pin units which surprisingly work really well. Sorry but when I used the Gaugemaster predecessor admittedly not in a 21 pin version I had similar issues as to what you are getting. They are not cheap either.