Is RailMaster finished?

On 02/02/2024 at 17:18, LTSR_NSE said:

Maybe the HM6000 box could be given a HM|DCC specific firmware update to provide this facility?

If its circuit board were capable, its two track outputs would be ideal for programming & main!

Just to stay off-piste for a quick answer. The 6000 module is essentially a pair of dcc decoders that drive their track. This method has been used for donkeys years. All Hornby has done is add a common bluetooth module to enable app control. Updating the firmware would have to put one decoder permanently into specific track mode and the other into specific Prog mode. The only advantage I can see is being able to program regular decoders OTA (ish) from the app.

Posted (edited)
On 14/05/2024 at 22:36, TimNiceButDim said:

To get this topic back on track (excuse the pun), does anyone have any indication as to when, if ever, there will be another major release of Railmaster? Despite the rumours that a new release would be available by the end on 2023, here we are in mid-May 2024 and, well, nothing!

According to the Railmaster release notes, release 1.60 was made available in January 2015. Since then, 9 years and 4 months ago, there has only been one major release, 1.70, in February 2019. 5 years and 3 months after that, we are still wailing for release 1.80.

There’s little wonder that members are questioning the future of Railmaster.

Back on track?  My reading of this thread is that RM still has a future. It remains a useful product for the many at its current release although it would be nice to have the mooted updates sometime soon.

Edited by RDS
mooted

1 hour ago, RDS said:

I still eagerly await Loco Detection.

Your optimism deserves to be rewarded!  I will be delighted when** it appears.

** at this point I’m interested to see where it appears first (RM or HM|DCC)

9 hours ago, LTSR_NSE said:

Your optimism deserves to be rewarded!  I will be delighted when** it appears.

** at this point I’m interested to see where it appears first (RM or HM|DCC)

TGG already has effective loco detection, so I have no need for RM any more. I have a feeling the next major update to RM (if V1.xx to v2.0) will invoke a cost (ref statement in their user manual page 131).

HM | DCC is a long, long way off yet as there is no interactive track-plan to mount loco detection on (or it may be loco prediction).

I emailed RM today, this is their reply;

"We are working on a maintenance update for RailMaster, which will be released soon.  That will be followed by a major update with new hardware, although we cannot provide specific dates."

• Like 1

Thanks for the replies all.

Seems any new releases are still some way off. The latest response from RM, as solicited by Charlie 66, has been seen before. Very non committal, so in my opinion, disappointing. I accept it's a useable product, despite still having a few bugs in it. In fact I use it regularly, but would still like to see it move forward, even if it's only to bring it up to date in terms of the latest Hornby locos and the raft of new decoders. I have invested in the software, an Elite that has now been side-lined because it won't read CVs (Hornby have declared it beyond economical repair), an eLink and a spare eLink, plus my time in drawing the track layout and entering scores of locos and reading their CVs into the database. Consequently, I'm a bit reluctant to jump ship to another product. Fingers crossed that RM can deliver the goods before I shuffle off this mortal coil!

@TimNiceButDim stick the Elite as Cont B to run an accessory bus and use the eLink as Cont A to run the locos. You will find its higher baud rate makes it more reliable when running programs as it won't skip commands like the Elite.

I have a couple of Elites that won't program and although I know the fix my soldering skills were defeated by the tiny 8-pin surface mounted devices that run the Prog circuit. Q8 and Q9 in the image.

IMG_1994.jpeg

12 hours ago, TimNiceButDim said:

Thanks for the replies all.

Seems any new releases are still some way off. The latest response from RM, as solicited by Charlie 66, has been seen before. Very non committal, so in my opinion, disappointing. I accept it's a useable product, despite still having a few bugs in it. In fact I use it regularly, but would still like to see it move forward, even if it's only to bring it up to date in terms of the latest Hornby locos and the raft of new decoders. I have invested in the software, an Elite that has now been side-lined because it won't read CVs (Hornby have declared it beyond economical repair), an eLink and a spare eLink, plus my time in drawing the track layout and entering scores of locos and reading their CVs into the database. Consequently, I'm a bit reluctant to jump ship to another product. Fingers crossed that RM can deliver the goods before I shuffle off this mortal coil!

Agreed,

As a newbie in the hobby, I was disappointed to discover the version of RM I purchased with  eLink back in Feb this year was clearly out of date software without any mention of Windows 10, which has been around since 2015.  By now, it should be a Windows 10 operating system with the next major release updating to Windows 11.

Similarly, I have invested in the product and built my track plan etc.  In hindsight I'd probably have used an alternative, but it was Hornby TT that got me into the hobby in the first place and as a newbie I was ignorant of other options.  I do like the concept, but just hope it will be modernised and improved.  Otherwise I think Hornby should examine whether they continue to sell this as one of their layout management options.

15 hours ago, Charlie 66 said:

I emailed RM today, this is their reply;

"We are working on a maintenance update for RailMaster, which will be released soon.  That will be followed by a major update with new hardware, although we cannot provide specific dates."

We have heard that before, a number of years ago but I still hope to see the very comprehensive Loco Detection that was apparently working years ago.  I would like to know what is holding it up.

In October this year, it will be 10 years since I started a sweep to guess the release date of Loco Detection. (type 'sweep' into the search box)

On 17/05/2024 at 08:44, Charlie 66 said:

I was disappointed to discover the version of RM I purchased with  eLink back in Feb this year was clearly out of date software without any mention of Windows 10, which has been around since 2015.  By now, it should be a Windows 10 operating system with the next major release updating to Windows 11.

RM happily runs on any platform from XP to 11. Plenty of forum chat about that. It is presumed you have updated your original copy since you bought it. Plenty of forum chat about that as well.

Given eLink hasn't been made for decades, its not surprising the enclosed DVD was out of date. I just downloaded a bit of freeware supposedly latest version and the first thing it did was update itself. Admittedly most RM updates have to be done manually.

For everyone's information but as a reply or retort if you will to Charlie66...

You would not require an upgrade of RM software for Windows 11 after running it on Windows 10. The reason is simple. Windows 11 has a core based purely on Windows 10.

Enhancements to the OS have been made and while the OS looks totally different it is not. The interface is different, there are added security features and some extras have been inserted but that essentially is it. No upgrade required. RM will basically work on all OS's that are Windows based.

Since interface changes are a marmite subject…

Whilst some will be very happy that RM retains what they know & enjoy, others will feel disappointed (or perhaps stronger) that what looked dated on XP, just looks hopelessly so today.

That RM’s website security & installation ‘quirks’ remain frozen in the same era just seems incomprehensible to me.

I genuinely have no wish to disparage or belittle software that brings people pleasure - I enjoy occasionally playing MS-DOS games, when I want to indulge in nostalgia - but I wouldn’t choose to pay modern licensing prices for that, GOG offers those for less than the price of a coffee!

• Like 1

18 hours ago, Augustus Caesar said:

For everyone's information but as a reply or retort if you will to Charlie66...

You would not require an upgrade of RM software for Windows 11 after running it on Windows 10. The reason is simple. Windows 11 has a core based purely on Windows 10.

Enhancements to the OS have been made and while the OS looks totally different it is not. The interface is different, there are added security features and some extras have been inserted but that essentially is it. No upgrade required. RM will basically work on all OS's that are Windows based.

Oh dear, you've completely missed the point. However LTSR_NSE had captured it perfectly.  Having recently retired from the IT industry I'm completely aware of MS OS.  My point is that in 2024 you're buying a product "as new" that appears of of date, and the accompanying documentation is also outdated.  It's just an observation!  I'm running it on a laptop with Windows 10 and it's alright thanks.

• Confused 1

Thanks 96RAF for the info to potentially fix an elite that won't read cvs. I suspect my soldering skills won't be up to the task either, having seen how small the components are in the image.

I use Cobalt IP point motors on my layout so, rightly or wrongly, I wired them into the main power bus. Thus I operate the layout using one elink with a 4amp power supply, now that the elite is effectively out of use. Seems to work OK as I can operate half a dozen locos without any problem.

• Like 1

On 18/05/2024 at 08:42, Charlie 66 said:

Oh dear, you've completely missed the point. However LTSR_NSE had captured it perfectly.  Having recently retired from the IT industry I'm completely aware of MS OS.  My point is that in 2024 you're buying a product "as new" that appears of of date, and the accompanying documentation is also outdated.  It's just an observation!  I'm running it on a laptop with Windows 10 and it's alright thanks.

I didn't actualy miss the point. When I said I reply to your post as a reply or a retort it wasn't in direct response to your words except to allude to the fact RM will work on basically all versions of Windows since the inception of RM. Some folk don't realise that and this is all I was actually getting at. You would be amazed at the direct email I get from some members who still think you have to upgrade Windows from a previous incarnation to get RM running. This, simply because some think RM is brand new. So, no, I didn't miss the point.

• Like 1

Posted (edited)
12 hours ago, Augustus Caesar said:

You would be amazed at the direct email I get from some members who still think you have to upgrade Windows from a previous incarnation to get RM running. This, simply because some think RM is brand new.

Perhaps they (foolishly) expect it to be brand new? - especially if they’ve just paid for a licence!
I imagine the reality in those instances is rather a nasty shock.

Edited by LTSR_NSE
Punctuation

On 24/05/2024 at 02:33, LTSR_NSE said:

Perhaps they (foolishly) expect it to be brand new? - especially if they’ve just paid for a licence!
I imagine the reality in those instances is rather a nasty shock.

I do try and let folk know that the software is probably old enough to be excavated from an ancient archaeology site (with a little humour I may add) but is perfectly usable. Recommendations to download the newer versions are also given of course. While the software in itself is very good it does need a facelift and some new additions (loco detection maybe????) and a rumour or two still circulate that one is in the mix. We'll see.

• Like 1

• 3 months later...

I decided to contact Railmaster support regarding the future direction of Railmaster, if any. The response I received was:-

The answer is in fact that we are preparing an update, including hardware, though we have had a few setbacks.

The new update will include newer Hornby locos, accessory decoders, loco decoders and much more.  We regret that things have taken a while, however we will get there and are sure you understand the situation.

Regards
RailMaster Support

Despite being a fairly positive reply, “much more” is a bit cryptic, though I guess most of us are assuming it will include loco detection. And there’s still no indication as to when any update(s) will be released. Fingers crossed it won’t be too long.

I would be cautious about seeing positives in that reply.  Previously two separate updates were supposed to be in development.

Nobody has any info that could offer certainty & in the past plenty of larger software companies have publicly maintained that new updates/versions are in progress right up until their communications are terminated.

There is nothing to indicate that (vapourware) will happen here - but equally there is no evidence the update(s) exist either.

I hope the update(s) get released Soon™ 😉

2 hours ago, TimNiceButDim said:

QUOTING Railmaster Support:

The answer is in fact that we are preparing an update, including hardware, though we have had a few setbacks.

So there still is no certainty of an update, no matter how much 'preparation', since there are setbacks.

We regret that things have taken a while

Regrets, I've had a few... 🎵 

are sure you understand the situation.

No.  No I do not.  Requesting clarification.

÷÷÷÷

The word is "specific"

Having suffered all too often from vapid statements, made by corporate drones, similar statements by 'Railmaster Support' are mind numbing.   It's a feel good message that attempts to make you feel good, but primarily to just make you go away.  It offers no actionable statements, nothing to hang your hat on.  

Perhaps someone can tell me, specifically what is included and when it will happen.

If I were you @TimNiceButDimI would send a follow up.  

1) What is the date certain?  

2) what situation?  I cannot read their mind.

Prepare yourself for more mumbling disingenuous self serving platitudes.

Bee

Do you people not follow what has been posted. This saga goes round and round and round.

On social media and YT (as reported here by me) there is Brian Hughes who is a self proclaimed RM guru and he is their beta tester. His recent video told of the new RM servers and thus URL for downloads and contact. He also told he awaits supply of the 'hardware' (presumed to be the long awaited loco detection kit) to be tested along with this also long awaited software update. When he is content then the update and kit will be launched.

RM is not dead yet and if folk think the 7K app is a replacement then consider how far the layout screen itself will have to be developed to go interactive. And that is just the tip of the iceberg.

• Like 1

When a beta tester can publicly state that they are actually evaluating software/hardware updates - I will happily accept that as evidence of existence.

While beta testers are awaiting updates - they have no more certainty than anyone else (but they are more likely to understand NDA restricted reasons for delays.)