60 year old newbie needs help with Harry Potter R1234 TTS options

JohnMc

Hello everybody

I have just received my first train set as a prezzie at 60! It's the Harry Potter R1234. I believe it to be DCC ready and I need advice on sound options. And what I need to purchase to make it happen. I had a nosy around but it's all Chinese to me and quite overwhelming.

Thanks in advance everyone

Just for clarity, the R1234 is listed as a Train Pack, not a Train Set. Therefore there won't be any track or controller included in it.

Given your very novice experience statement, then I feel it would be worthwhile making a few statements for information. Apologies, if you know this already, but you haven't given any information with regard what your current layout and control status is.

The loco in the pack is indeed DCC Ready and has an 8 pin decoder socket, looking at the Service Sheet 448 [extract below]. The loco is TTS Ready and the 8 pin decoder socket [item 14] and the speaker are fitted in the Tender. Note the large ring in the image [middle of the main tender chassis], this is the round speaker mounting ring.

HSS 448 Hogwarts Castle Hall 2019 - No.448 Hogwarts Castle Hall Class.pdf

forum_image_61d2e3a1e9016.png.735dbd857c45333544c013d7a5605f71.png

The Tender is connected to the loco via a four way wired plug and socket. The wires on the plug are very delicate and can be easily detached by pulling on them. Hornby make a special plug extraction tool to help prevent wire damage, I highly recommend that you purchase one - see link below:

X6468 Extractor Tool For Steam Loco Tender Plug

TTS locos will not run on DC Analogue powered layouts, thus you will also need a suitable Digital DCC controller to operate it. You haven't given any indication as to what controller and layout you have.

Decoder choices.

All TTS decoders from Hornby are currently 8 pin, thus they will fit the socket in the Harry Potter loco.

Other brands of 'sound decoders' are available but ones with 8 pin plugs are less common. I believe that Loksound now do an 8 pin decoder, but this decoder will cost double the price of a Hornby TTS decoder plus an additional charge by the retailer to load it with appropriate sounds.

Someone else will have to comment on which Hornby TTS decoder [sound wise] is suitable for the Hogwarts Express loco.

Cheers, Chris for that. The setup is the standard out-of-the-box kit. It runs sweet and is good on the eye! I am a complete newbie with regards to trains but not adverse to tinkering and doing mods. Looks as if I have a lot of learning to do and I fear my wife may have created a monster!!

After a little more digging and research, I have found that the R1234 version is TTS Ready, thus my original reply has been updated with additional information.

Your "it runs sweet.....out of the box" comment indicates that your layout is currently DC Analogue, thus there is no benefit** in fitting a decoder unless you upgrade your whole existing layout to Digital complete with new controller and fitting decoders to all your existing locos etc. Your existing power tracks will be Analogue and also need updating to Digital if you go down that path.

Note** As stated in my previous reply, TTS decoders are factory configured with DC Analogue support disabled, and unlike other brands of sound decoders, TTS decoders will not make any sounds on DC Analogue even if the decoder was DC operation enabled.

Jay,

"DCC unit" is a bit vague, can you be a bit more specific. Do you mean the "Harry Potter Hogwarts" loco or do you mean the TTS decoder that the original question in this thread related to?

Bearing in mind that the loco in this thread is only "DCC Ready" which means that it is not DCC enabled out of the box and needs a decoder fitted to make it DCC.

Jay,
"DCC unit" is a bit vague, can you be a bit more specific.............

My apologies... I am looking for the Decoder that I can install to create the sounds. Love the set and will add more to it, but would like to get the "feel" of a steam engine starting, braking, etc.. Appreciate any help if there is one specific to the set or one that can be recommended that will provide those sounds.

Thanks again!

R7294 Hall Class TTS retro-fit kit is generally held to be a suitable sound decoder for the Harry Potter loco, but do not expect any HP special effects sound bites as Hornby hasn’t thought of that yet.

Currently out of stock at Hornby but available from other suppliers when Googled.

R7294 Hall Class TTS retro-fit kit..........
Currently out of stock at Hornby but available from other suppliers when Googled.

96 RAF.. Can you possibly point to a dealer with it (or Ebay). Can't seem to find anyone carrying the Hall Class ... All say out of stock.. Email replies suggest out of stock for some time. :-(. Thanks in advance.

Jay S.

R7294 Hall Class TTS retro-fit kit......

96 RAF.. Can you possibly point to a dealer with it (or Ebay). Can't seem to find anyone carrying the Hall Class ... All say out of stock.. Email replies suggest out of stock for some time. :-(. Thanks in advance.
Jay S.

Admittedly over the channel but ...

https://picclick.fr/Hornby-R7294-DCC-Digital-TTS-Sound-Hall-Class-124302426514.html