DCC semaphore signals

Out Of Puff1707822593

Hi all,

A quick question, and sorry if this is obvious. I'm interested in the option of DCC controlled semaphore signals (I was looking at the Dapol semaphores + train tech SC4 controller). However I am a complete electrical novice and I can't tell from the instructions how easy or complex this is. If it involves soldering then it's probably a no-go for me! Does anyone know how involved connecting the decoder to the signals and power actually is? Thanks so much

A DCC semaphore signal is quite a simple matter. You need a Triang/Hornby X404 point motor obtained second-hand from eBay and a Hornby single signal. There is a piece of plastic into which the signal and the point motor fit. The point motor operates the signal. You will need an Accessories Decoder such as R8247 to control the point via your DCC system. The Dapol semaphores are exceedingly expensive and are only worth the money if you are a serious modeller constructing a layout intended for a permanent exhibition.

forum_image_61d8a85e13f98.thumb.png.1e9c5126759eb25affd84bafa5033389.png

forum_image_61d8a8622acb4.thumb.png.58d253ca3cfa0f8bea7dcf1ef47965a8.png

The Dapol semaphore signal operates on an on-up, on-down, on-up, on-down repeat pulse principle so you have to choose your accessory decoder carefully.

Using manual switching this could be a single press to make push button switch. Each press cycles the signal from up to down to up, etc.

A normal acc decoder works on the on-one way or on-other way principle, so tend to be unsuited for Dapol signals.

Personally, I find the Hornby Semaphore signal suggested by Bexhill Donkey over scale and more suited to an 0 Guage layout. Yes the Dapols are quite expensive, but in my opinion look perfectly prototypical and in scale. I for one would pay the extra for the Dapol system for which the TT SC3/4 decoders are specifically designed to operate.

It seems in Rob's reply that he may not have noticed your in post text reference to the SC4 decoder.

All the terminals on the SC3 (2 wire toggle solenoid operated) and SC4 (3 wire servo operated) decoder are screw terminals. The wires from the Dapol signals might not be long enough and need extending, but you could use Electrical 3 amp screw terminal strips for that if you don't want to solder. You could also use screw terminal strips to connect the SC4 to the DCC supply from your controller by intercepting the controller feed to your track.

All Train-Tech decoders including the SC3/SC4 are self learning decoders and are easier to configure with a DCC Address than if you have to manually write direct to their CVs.

You haven't indicated what controller you are using. If it is RailMaster then there are number of additional hoops you need to jump through, but if your controller is a knobs and buttons physical hardware one, then configuring the addresses in the SC4 should not be too onerous (subject to your abilities). Certainly less onerous than configuring a Hornby R8247 decoder.

Just note with the Select, the signals will have to be given an address within the 61 to 99 range. This range gives 38 usable addresses which will also need to accommodate your points as well as signals.

Also note that the SC4 is a new controller for the new Dapol servo based signals. The SC3 is used with the original Dapol signals that are solenoid based. Dapol have released a new servo based signal presumably for prototypical operation, but so far I have only seen listings for O Gauge versions. So the type of signal purchased needs to be confirmed to ensure the correct decoder is sourced.

An interesting point raised was the Hornby signals being overscale. They have been in the range since 1978, they were known to be overscale from day one, they are nearer O scale than OO. Ironically they replaced the closer to scale former Tri-ang plastic signals made under the Hornby banner in their later years until the end of 1977. It makes you wonder if Hornby were considering O scale in 1978, perhaps with the idea of re-introducing the ex Tri-ang Big-Big range?