Black 5 with steam generator - and sound? Or no sound?

JonMountfort

My understanding is that the Dublo models are made in smaller numbers than non Dublo models, so they know that people will buy them, so perhaps a little bit of greed there on Hornby’s part.

I can’t see how a loco with a few more diecast and metal parts than a regular Hornby model costs £50 more than a loco with a steam generator, working lamps, and out of the box sound functions.

I thought the Black 5 came with "everything". One of the major advantages of ordering on announcement - just checked the Black 5 (with steam) was £224 when ordered, now £269. I also have the Hornby Dublo Merchant Navy - £288 when ordered, now £320.

Unlike many, I don't worry about when it will arrive, my order is in, and I will get it, and at the announcement price. I still can't get over the Club model Class 2 MT - £149 to club members, cheapest in the shop, is I think now £217.

I could be wrong on this, but I thought the three new steam generating locos came with four stand out features:

Steam generator

Sound functions out of the box

Working lamp codes

Flickering firebox

I know they all come with the first two, but last I looked, they didn’t all come with the last two. Again, could be wrong on this, but it’s just what the descriptions on the website say.

They may all come with all four, and the descriptions on the website are just a little lacking.

Edit: seems the descriptions on all three locos have been updated a little and confirm all three comes with all four features.

The Scotsman at the Warley show definitely had steam, firebox glow and sound. Albeit, the chuff rate was miles out, which I mentioned to the Hornby chap. He said that the final release would have a cam sensor.

Hopefully the black 5 will be the same.

He also said that they were both due in June. I'm looking forward to that as I have both on order.