Laisdcc Standard / Kung Fu & Stay Alive Decoders

Chris-K

They always said to me from the start to be fair that the supplier had told them of the laisdcc decoaders that they are not compatible with hornby controllers, i mean to be honest thats the issue i have so for whatever reason its not working correctly

Thanks Alot

Chris

I've used LaisDCC decoders both with a Select, (I think) and an Elite (definitely) and I've not had any problems like those you describe. The only problem I've experienced was Dc runaway, but that has only been with one particular loco. Setting Vmax and Vmid has seemed to fix it.

I've used LaisDCC decoders both with a Select, (I think) and an Elite (definitely) and I've not had any problems like those you describe. The only problem I've experienced was Dc runaway, but that has only been with one particular loco. Setting Vmax and Vmid has seemed to fix it.

I may be repeating myself but me too, I had laisdcc decoders when I first converted a DC model to DCC, thinking the loss would be less by picking the cheapest decoder I could find having never soldered before.

That was long before I upgraded to a Z21 but I have to say that none had stay alive.

I don't know I'm at a loss with it, I got this train due to it being my dad's first set the freightmaster set but I managed to get a later version of the r357 this one being a boxed 1975 as they made them until 1976 so it worked on the latest track etc with the shallow flange wheels, if anyone wants me to send them the train and even the controller to have a look at I don't mind I'd just like to know what I can do I really need help with it

Thanks

Chris

Under normal circumstances and having frequented various forums of all kinds for decades, you'd undoubtedly receive multiple, genuine offers of assistance but, as transfer of personal information is strictly forbidden here, that's just not gonna happen.

If I have an issue with a decoder I normally swap it into a loco that I know works ok, the good thing about a LaisDCC decodef is if it blows up, you haven't lost a lot. Admittedly I use an Elite and Fleishmann Twin Track but I have had no issue with LaisDCC decoders. As someone said previously they sometimes have an issue with DC runaway but so do other makes, they do also seem to fry too easily. I use them for testing out loco conversions where losing one doesn't break the bank. Yes some do come with "stay alive", I have some with that. I standardised on Zimo decoders as they were not much more expensive than many of the others and for me are the most reliable. The Zimo also seemed to work better on dirty track but other than that the LaidDCC decoders work perfectly ok.

If someone offers to help then contact details can be passed twixt interested parties by way of Admin, but as Willie says there is no direct method.

That's not my recollection.

I once offered a part to a fellow forum member FOC, but was qite clearly told by a moderater that the transfer of personal information was not permitted.

Hi, just an update on this if anyone it's of any help to anyone today I've tested the train using a digitrax dcs52 controller and it's working fine so obviously something abit odd with the select controller not liking it

Thanks

Chris

If someone offers to help then contact details can be passed twixt interested parties by way of Admin, but as Willie says there is no direct method.

I once offered a part to a fellow forum member FOC, but was qite clearly told by a moderater that the transfer of personal information was not permitted.

Direct transfer of contact details via the forum (see rule 3) is not permitted and Moderators have no sight of user details anyhow. Site Admin does have access to those details (lodged when making your account with HH) and the only approved contact methodology is Party A states to Admin they wish to contact Party B. Admin then passes Party A’s contact details to Party B, who then decides to make direct contact with Party A or not. This accords with GDPR as it is done with Party A’s permission.

Hi, just an update on this if anyone it's of any help to anyone today I've tested the train using a digitrax dcs52 controller and it's working fine so obviously something abit odd with the select controller not liking it
Thanks
Chris

At least you got to the bottom of it, even if the outcome isn't ideal 👍

Direct transfer of contact details via the forum (see rule 3) is not permitted and Moderators have no sight of user details anyhow. Site Admin does have access to those details (lodged when making your account with HH) and the only approved contact methodology is Party A states to Admin they wish to contact Party B. Admin then passes Party A’s contact details to Party B, who then decides to make direct contact with Party A or not. This accords with GDPR as it is done with Party A’s permission.

That's good to now know.

Knowing/having that suggested to me back when I tried to help a fellow forum member would have saved him a couple of bob, but if it comes up again I'll be sure to follow the procedure I'm now aware of.

Thanks
Chris

At least you got to the bottom of it, even if the outcome isn't ideal 👍

Yes it is Will, was nice seeing it running well issue now is either guess change the decoder to a hornby sapphire surely that will be compatible for the select or upgrade the controller 🤔

Sapphire has long been out of production and can be hard to find. Until its replacement comes out there is no direct equivalent so try a Zimo which are well priced and have a good rep.

Many makes of decoder do not meet EMC requirements leading to poor performance with certain controllers, usually those that cater for DC running (Loco Zero, also known as Train 0). Although your v1.6 Select has DC running turned off by default it is worth checking that it is, simply by resetting the controller and seeing -0 on screen at the point of choosing (minus 0 not simply 0).

DC running should also be turned off in the decoder (CV29).

This quote from my files ...

The ELITE and the SELECT both meet EN55014 EMC Electro Magnetic Compatibility Directive certification i.e. when under load as specified by the requirement ... To achieve the load have several locos on track at once - they can just be standing not running.