Deltic R30049TTS (Taxes on delivery to Australia)

Aussie Fred

Has anyone received a Deltic "Black Watch" loco, scheduled for delivery March 2022. Unfortunately, I had one on pre order (pre-paid) from a supplier in Tasmania Australia since July last year, and have been advised by liquidators they they have gone bust and I have lost my money and my order. I am hoping that it hasn't been released yet and I have appealed to Hornby if they can supply my loco if they hadn't already sent it to Australia (have to pay again, no doubt). The problems of living in the colonies!

I suppose we could use the normal excuse due to the global chip shortage. I doubt it is the case. This does highlight the issues of preordering and paying a deposit. Sadly preordering from Hornby at the the moment seems the safest option as seeing as their releases run at least a year late, that is the only way you can guarantee the price and not pay a deposit. My mail "inbox" is constantly getting offers of preorders on lots pf things, sadly it is not getting many for actual models released.

Well, Hornby were quick to reply to say "bad luck but you can pre-order from us", without paying a deposit, but with VAT (why should I be paying that as I will have to pay GST to Australian government when it comes in) and ridiculous 50 pounds postage, it will cost me over $100 dollars extra for it in todays money without their inevitable price increase by the time they get around to it early next year (maybe). I guess I will just give it and Hornby a miss.

Thanks for all your responses anyway.

There seems to be some confusion here. My understanding of website information is that UK VAT (1/6th of the retail price) is deducted and Australian GST (10%) is added by Hornby so there should be no further taxes added on delivery.

I would request clarification from Hornby, who should be able to give you an 'all-in' price for the loco delivered to Australia, and similar enquiries can no doubt be answered by UK retailers to give you a comparison.

My understanding, possibly out of date, is that Hornby will deduct VAT if prompted, not automatically, for deliveries outside UK.

I cannot imagine Hornby then adding GST because the only way this can work is if they were to have an account with the Australian Tax Office into which they then paid that GST. Much more likely that Fred deals with the ATO on importing the item.

And you are correct Fred, Hornby have always priced themselves out of the overseas market with their high postage charges. Much better to try the big UK suppliers like Hattons etc.

PS. And would a mod like to add to the thread title Taxes on Delivery to Australia for search purposes in future.

Mod Note - done

I quote from Hornby's Terms & Conditions under the Prices heading: "All prices are displayed inclusive of VAT or GST......... Australian GST - From the 1st of July 2018 we will be charging GST.........at 10% on all orders to Australia. GST registration number ............"

Yes, I rechecked the quoted price from Hornby and it did only include our GST, but called it VAT. However, the price is still $140 more than I had paid for it (and done my dough) and at that price, even though I love the sound of the Deltic, it is out of my price range, especially when I have to wait another year for it. Heck, I might be dead and buried by then.

Ahh yes the lucky country we are in. I won’t lie my last purchase came direct from HORNBY was the freight bad. YIKES YES but it is here. It’s payback. See some 5-10 years ago you could order the Hornby annual catalogue for Hornby at what 11 pounds 22 AUD and they sent it to AUSTRALIA for free. Yes CHUNKY GLOSSY HORNBY BROCHURE FREE. So I was buying them for everyone in Australia as a Christmas gift.

THEN THEY STOPPED

Now the BOOK is some

$25-30 AUD

ND another what 40-50 POUNDS

in other words. It’s costing us about $100 or in my case a full days wage.

SO my point

with all the instability at the moment just go direct to the source. maybe it’s not always the cheapest but it’s the continuity. It’s delivered it’s immaculate it’s done. I’m in a Regional area and if I had local shop of course I would shop there support the locals they can organize and take care of any warranty or issues unfortunately it’s a dying art. Still I’m sure you are on it and will have a happy outcome

OPOAT

• 2 weeks later...

Just an update, Have pre-ordered my desired Deltic from a supplier in the UK, cost much less that direct and half the postage cost, and the most important thing they won't charge me until stock is available, so won't lose out if they go bust. As one who waited 11 months for my car to become available, I can be patient until December/January (or whenever) for it.

• 4 weeks later...

Final update, I have decided to give the Hornby "Black Watch" the flick and 2 weeks ago ordered a Bachmann Deltic "Meld" from AJM (Free shipping to Australia). It arrived today, looks good, but I can't test run it at the moment because my entire train room has been removed from our spare dining room (which is to become "she who must be obeyed" kitchen extension) to our soon to be fitted out garage. Has anyone had any experiences with this model?

• 3 weeks later...