Hornby Class 87 pantograph issue

it is the new version R3751 Class 87 87002 "Royal Sovereign" in Caledonian. The pantograph is very flimsy I was going to replace the pantograph with one of the metal pantograph but I decided to send it back for a replacement but if that is the same then I will replace the pantograph with a Hornby operational metal one as the size is the same.

The Pantographs on these locos are in my opinion very poor. I have several 87’s and I replaced the pantos with excellent replacements I purchased off EBay. They are not prototypical but they look good to my eyes plus they only cost £14.00 for two Pantographs. forum_image_6272c3192f04b.thumb.png.750ad399116abf6c4fb8fd937e3c5e85.png

@Trainman1974

Please do not use the Blue square with the white arrow to reply to posts.

I have just deleted 4 of your (identical) posts where all you had done was copied the picture posted by Stubaggieboy.

All pictures require approval by a Moderator before they appear on the Forum and because your posts contained a (copied) picture, they did not appear and hence I assume why you kept on pressing reply.

To reply to a post, scroll down to the bottom of the screen and type your reply in the large white box.

This link is probably the items mentioned above...blush

https://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/2x-HO-Scale-Train-1-87-Arm-Pantograph-Bow-Electric-Traction-Antenna-Part-/353468573974

How does one make a clickable link these days? thinking_face

RDS Moderator Note

The way I do it, is to paste the link into MS Word and after pressing enter it becomes a clickable link, then paste it into your post. (Not as easy as it used to be but it works)

https://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/2x-HO-Scale-Train-1-87-Arm-Pantograph-Bow-Electric-Traction-Antenna-Part-/353468573974

To add to Stubaggieboy’s post I can confirm that while those pantographs are non-prototypical for UK stock they are really well made. I got some a few years ago when they were about half the current price. I have no idea why something similar in a UK pattern can’t be made for current locos.

It always amazes me when I see another post complaining about poor plastic pantographs on Hornby models when the ones they choose to use on their Electrotren branded models look and function excellently.

Electrotren Renfe 440 type EMU E3616 from around 2015.

forum_image_6273887a06cf9.thumb.png.090935bcd81f46b30838365e85a9071b.png

forum_image_62738881f35b3.thumb.png.d8a1fbe9e44d284e72aff992569d7ea4.png

Hi Trainman 1974

My preference would be to use a X1013 live working pantograph as a possible replacement, however I am not sure if it would fit the new Hornby Class 87, you would need to contact Hornby directly for confirmation.

My preference is for the older ringfield powered versions by Lima with its 2 types of live working pantographs also Hornby's classes 86,90,91 and 92 all with X1013 pantographs fitted

@Tony57

I can use the catenary as a pick up but I don’t as there would be only one pick up point. The replacement pantographs I fitted to the 87’s and pendolinos cope well with the clip joint you just have to make sure the underside is as smooth as possible.

Stu.