Running Railmaster On More Than One Computer

Hi Everyone.

I have just recently made use of Chrissaf's backup script to back up all my Railmaster data. I must say it works really well & I don't know why I didn't use it earlier. I urge everyone on here to make use of it & if possible copy the backup folder to a thumb drive or something similar to keep a copy off the computer.

I was wondering, as the script backs up the Railmaster Activation info, if it's possible to use this file to run Railmaster on more than one computer without deactivating it. Obviously, I wouldn't running it on more than one computer at a time but just thought that this could be useful sometimes during fault finding or when testing on a new machine etc.

Anyway, any thoughts welcome...

Two options

1. deactivation, switch across to the other PC and reactivate as and when, which is perfectly legal but cumbersome.
  2. buy a second licence, which is fairly expensive.

I was fortunate in that I took advantage when Hattons were flogging them at a fiver a pop. I bought a couple of spares to supplement my original, which also runs Pro.

The others are the basic load on a spare PC and a laptop giving me flexibility if I want to test something other than on the main layout.

• 2 months later...
Can you get a separate copy of Railmaster on its own and if so what price

Yes you can. You download the latest copy from the links in this forum (see top of RM forum). This will install RM as an Evaluation copy. You then purchase an unlocking key from WITHIN the running evaluation copy via the Help screen if I recall correctly. I believe the cost is about 80 GBP. This will unlock the installed version, thus there is no need to uninstall the evaluation software first. Make sure that the evaluation version is functioning on your PC to your satisfaction first before paying for a key.

Note: Railmaster on a CD disc media is R8144, but be aware that buying R8144 second hand is a high risk strategy. The key IS NOT transferable and if a previous owner has previously activated the key, the key will not be recognised on your PC. There is no workaround for this issue. R8144 as a separate physical CD product is not currently sold by Hornby.