Hornby R8078 Express point and straight track

Deem

Hello

I would be grateful if some one can help or advice or guide me what I am doing wrong?

I have issue's with Hornby R8072 points with various long Locomotives - Electric or Steam - so after doing research I bought the 2 x Hornby Express point R8078 so I install them to have change over from one track to next track.

According to pictures on the packaging when I connect 2 R8078 (please below picture) I should have straight track gap between tracks 67 MM

forum_image_62f2ef75ea091.thumb.png.1fa4919760982d26755abf70c372d4bf.png

But I connect on my layout track is not straight - please see below picture

Any advice will be much appreciated.

forum_image_62f2ef79f1273.thumb.png.2a53aefb9da82dcae03fafc7326bf4ab.png

You need to connect the 2 curved sections of the points together.

Also, from your picture, if that is how you intend to have the tracks, you need 2 Right Hand points but you are using 2 Left Hand points.

Thats because you have connected them straight track to straight track. You need to connect them branch track to branch track per the illustration on the packet.

Move the point in left hand track to the right hand side and the point in the right hand track to the left hand side like this joining the circled ends.

forum_image_62f3630e83586.thumb.png.1421da0d1b67966f1a500fc4ee07f767.png

There have been many posts regarding the different spacing between parallel tracks when using 'standard' R8072/3 points and 'express' R8077/8 points and it is slightly concerning to read the wording on the point sleeve that suggests the spacing between express points is the "standard distance for Hornby track geometry" at 67mm, which to my mind is not the case.

yay it works!

I think the spacing between tracks is standard. The problem I have wiht express points is their odd length. They don't easily fit into a layout like a normal point, and you need lots of fiddly little bits to correct the parralell tracks to have joints next to each other again.

XYZ

yay it works!
I think the spacing between tracks is standard. The problem I have wiht express points is their odd length. They don't easily fit into a layout like a normal point, and you need lots of fiddly little bits to correct the parralell tracks to have joints next to each other again.
XYZ

Try the Peco ST-202? It seems to be about the length of 2 R610. Doesn’t make too much difference but at least eliminates a track join.

forum_image_62f505f4cca6f.png.4853b3ba048e9139f3e1468f9f15534c.png

I would cut bits of flexitrack for the purpose. It does not fit the profile in the way it should- you should be able to bring it back to the right shape with standard track, but you can't and thats the way it is unfortunately. The best way to use them is in a crossover. (2n at once)

XYZ

Thanks for your input ModelerXYZ - M. Matthews

As you stated, when I try to add R8073 I am stuck unusual size in the middle. I was about cut one of the straight piece to make up the gap but now may look into ModelerXYZ advice of having Flexi Track, cutting and that to use it.

I have uploaded the pictures and you will see them once they are approved.

Regards

I don't know if my layout is similar to one mention by JJ, I just like to run the loco to test them on this layout, as I was struggling on hornby R8072/R8073 with my various loco for example (R3171 or some EMU) I thought I try the hornby express point.

I was using them incorrectly which was advised by fellow modeler here and that rectify the issue but presented with another issue of small gaps when using R8078/R8077 with Hornby R8072/R8073. I am waiting for flexi track to arrive so I can cut the size I need to cover the gap which is not standard size I can use.

I use flexitrack because then if i do need a slight alignment adjustment as well as length then it makes it easier. You can cut set track, but then it becomes a nonstandard size but apparently is the peice you cut it out of. Flexitrack can be bent into transition curves as well.

XYZ