new Hornby Platinum jubilee loco has arrived pictures

Can’t speak for all of Hornbys products, but all three of my 9Fs and my own Queen Jubilee came wrapped in this new way. Big outer cardboard box with fragile sticker on. Foam inserts holding another smaller cardboard box which is draped in bubble wrap. Then the loco box is bubble wrapped inside that.

How Hornby went from a loose loco box bashing around inside a cardboard box to wrapping them like faberge eggs is interesting.

• Replies 106
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

They probably learnt from the "Hush Hush" episode where a lot of locos got damaged. Then there is the fact that their locos are generally more than the likes of Dapol and Accurascale, but these two firms were packaging their locos in more secure packaging.

It's worth mentioning that storing anything in bubble wrap for any extended period is posssibly unwise unless it is first wrapped in acid free tissue. I left some carriages in bubble wrap for a time and it caused faint but unmistakeable markings in the paintwork,

• 2 weeks later...

I received my one today, carefully pulled it out of the "ice pack" and a buffer fell off immediately. Good to see Hornby haven't lost their touch. Nice loco though. Interestingly the packaging from Hornby for this model is nowhere the standard for the Hornby 9F Evening Star. Surprising seeing as it was significantly more than the Evening Star.