platinum jubilee limited edition train

ftm lad

What's people's thoughts on these sellers ? On one hand they obviously didn't want the model in the first place and wanted to make a profit stopping those who did from being able to order one ...... on the other hand with the cost of living selling one for 3 times its RRP if people are willing to pay it is handy ??? Or just not buy them at that markup so theyre stuck with a model they didn't want ???

Very simply put, it’s their model, they bought and paid for it. They can do what they want with it, no one’s business but their own. I doubt anyone will be sticking their head in the oven over what someone else thinks. It’s the dichotomy of the buyer and seller relationship, seller wants as much as they can get for something, the buyer wants it as cheap as possible. No one has the right to claim the moral high ground. Whatever anyone says I doubt anybody on this forum would sell someone their house cheap. It’s just buyers again thinking they are the most important person in a transaction and everything is about what they want. It was available top pre-order at the original price, it was obvious it was going to be popular.

The thing is the model wouldn't have sold for so much if the Queen hadn't died, that is what is causing them to fetch so much. Had she not died I doubt they would have sold for a premium. I thought the loco was overpriced at its original price so paying nearly £1000 for it fascinates me.

They were sold out at Hornby long before the events of the past week. Those who had bought them to sell are not taking advantage as I am sure they always intended on selling them. I do not think the 1.6% of them, about 40 out of 2,500 that have since appeared on eBay is hardly a huge number. I purchased one yesterday from an online retailer for £244 (their last one) so it would seem those who missed out did not try very hard to get one. I guess if someone is prepared to pay 4 times the original price then they must really want one, probably a lot more than those who are complaining.

I suppose it all depends on whether one is a collector who wants unopened boxes to gaze at, or a modeller who wants the box' contents to run on a layout. I do not understand the notion of paying a lot of money for a box that cannot be opened without devaluing it, but then I am a modeller, not a collector. I dare say there are collectors out there who do not understand modellers opening boxes. Each to his own.

If you are a collector looking a model you wish people would not run them, once you have acquired one you wish they did. Makes your one rarer and even more collectable. People should spend their money on what makes them happy.

Of course people only look at things from their own perspective, hard to find anyone who views themselves with the same critical eye as they view others. Having purchased one for £244 when they are currently selling for at least twice that, did I rip the seller off knowing paying an amount much less than what I knew it now to be worth? People are generally only interested in what benefits them so seeing only others capable of ripping off them and not the other way round. As someone once said, if they made hypocrisy a criminal offence everyone would be in prison.

I was lucky to get the Platinum Jubilee locomotive and as with all my so called 'limited editions' or 'collectibles' are run on my layout and have never sold any on. I have never bought or placed orders with the intention of having a non-runner model in my collection, but what I think would look good running on my layout, this engine looks great with both my pullman coaches and some of my LNER coaches. I have not tried others as yet but will. When my other two Hornby pre-orders do arrive, they, while being advertised as 'collectibles' will be run as well. I am very well pleased with this addition, so keep up the good work Hornby.

Mine arrived on Tuesday ,a hornby pre order,but I was on holiday and only got to view it yesterday, although I bought it to collect and not run I have gone a bit further than some and have actually removed it carefully from the entire packaging to inspect it and make sure nothing as fallen off and can say its all in tact.Although its a lovely model it is only an ordinary rebuilt merchant navy with the added extra bit of details, also i think this model would have sold well if it was offered with the gold plated parts like the centenary version.

On the rebuilt ones the Merchant Navy ones have an old style pony truck that moves, the West Country and Battle of Britain have the new type fixed one with non moveable bogie. On the ones I own that seems to be the case. Funny, I really like the locos in early BR Blue, but this one didn't appeal to me at all. The original inflated price over a normal Hornby loco also put me off.

The Merchant Navy has a slightly longer driving wheelbase than the Battle of Britain & West Country, the distance between the centre and rear axles being greater. This is why Hornby used a plastic saddle set in to the chassis block above the rear axle which can accommodate both spacings to permit use of the same chassis block for all three classes.

The MN tenders are also longer to cater for the greater water capacity, the complete locomotives being 2ft 3ins longer.

The arrangement, style and positioning of their nameplates also differed between the classes.

You are probably right mjb1961 although that loco was about £20 dearer than Hornby's current price for a Pacific loco and of course on the preorder offered there was no discount unless I joined the club. If you really want to guarantee getting one you have to order it from Hornby, so definitely no discount. So basically I wasn't really that interested. I have the same model in green but with a different number which I am quite happy with.

• 3 weeks later...