Roco/Fleischman Multimaus hand set

pendeenpete

Seems a few on here have the z21/Z21 and Multimaus, I have two handsets that I have owned for a few years, both have a reduced effect at the centre off detente.

Anyone else had this problem? They look to be able to be dismantled, but previous experience tells me I'll break something!

As an aside I've had a few TTS locos, all were perfect on the z21 etc except the earliest class 37 in Railtrack livery, which displays unusual behaviour, can only assume it is a one off.

Think we discussed this years ago if my memory is working, the following: starting/moving sometimes without any command, affecting other TTS locos to do the same sometimes, stopping dead then starting (with clean track/wheels), stuck on brake release noise when starting and not moving, however if another sound function is pressed it will move,handy if a horn is used! These are all totally intermittent/random, but now I'm used to it's foibles it's not a problem. None of the other TTS (later ones) display these, and all have been faultless unless sharing the layout with the 37. It is probably one of the earliest examples, Hornby had it twice and couldn't replicate the faults.

Early Class 37 TTS could be flaky. I am surprised Hornby didn't just replace it.

Other foibles long since fixed were programming and running only when placed on track facing a particular direction. Facing the other direction and it wouldn't respond. That was a free fix by return to works.

Another was the running lights were reversed, a fault present from the original steam TTS launch decoder but not picked up until the diesels came out as steamers generally do not have lights (my fault).

• 2 months later...
As an aside I've had a few TTS locos, all were perfect on the z21 etc except the earliest class 37 in Railtrack livery, which displays unusual behaviour, can only assume it is a one off.

My Z21 system is flawless, except for those locos running TTS chips.

From memory I have about forty-five engines, with decoders comprising a mix of laisdcc, one or two bachmann 21 pin and a fair few hornby, of which eight are TTS.

These eight are the only decoders I have trouble with, and sometimes zoom off or fire up and trundle off without prompt.

The Hornby technical chaps have valiantly attempted to resolve the problem, without success.

I intend to replace all TTS decoders with non-sound types.

Even though the problem is infrequent, it's of sufficient concern to me that it will eventually lead to damage.

@Pendeenpete

Back to the original problem. I've had no issues with the control knob on either my Multimaus or Lokmaus2. I would guess these would wear out over time with heavy use.

When you say they have 'reduced effect' what exactly do you mean? Do you have to turn the dial more before there is movement? I find on my Multimaus there is a gentle 'click' when turning into or out of the center zero point and then depending on the chip, the loco will move shortly afterwards.

I use a DigiKeijs and I have no issue with the locos fitted with TTS. Most of my TTS decoders are less than 4 years old so that may be the difference. To be honest once TTS decoders are running they work OK, you just have to be careful to allow air to pass over them, cooling seems to be a big issue. Definitely be careful on hot days in the loft.