New Hornby 9Fs

TVR1707822112

Mine is in the post. Yes, I was horrified at the price, I preordered it from a retailer not Hornby. I am sure it was much less when I ordered it. I was quite surprised to get the Email to say it had been Shipped. Let's hope it is worth all that money. I must admit the only locos I now preorder are the ones from Rails. Generally they are specials and sell out quickly.

I pre-ordered it from Hornby on announcement, and also being a Collector Club member I received the Club discount. So I saved over forty pounds on the current RRP. The Evening Star is a superb model and the packaging was second to none. So no complaints from me whatsoever.

People, even on this forum, complain about the cost of the Club membership, but there are serious savings to be made. I recently bought the air-brush compressor, exactly the same model elsewhere was £230 - through the Club I paid £98 - with free postage - so that's my Club membership fee saved - for several years.

I don't have one of the new 9Fs nor have one on order but looking at most of the feedback I have seen online, it is a fantastic model. A few always complain about one thing or the other, and they'll always find something to moan about but they appear in be in the minority.

I believe my 9F got great reviews when it was released but I'd bet there were plenty of moaners than also. Its pretty unrealistic, has a copied Fleischmann motor, no separate handrails and paper nameplates but plenty seem to love it.

forum_image_632775113c74d.thumb.png.96ccb77b3a8ea22c5115170f887a5eaf.png

I received mine this morning. I have to admit Hornby have done a really good job. My only complaint is the DCC fitting. I assume the box at the back is a sound box, to which you add a sugar cube speaker. I spent ages trying to work out if I could remove it to make room to fit a thin bass enhanced one, only to find out it is fixed on with double sided tape. I am still trying to figure out whether that enclosure will give better sound that a thin Bass Enhanced one from Road and Rails.

Got mine a week or so ago, it’s absolutely stunning and I’m very impressed. I think these are one of the best looking British steam trains of all time.

Is it worth nearly £250 direct from Hornby? Probably not, but the discussion about price on Hornby products is one I’ve seen get heated from both sides. When it comes to peoples money, I’m always on the side of, they earned it, they can spend it on whatever they like.

I’m just trying very hard not to buy the other two new 9Fs so I can have all three of the new ones. sweat

That's the advantage of pre-ordering from Hornby as soon as its announced - you can always cancel later, and you know you will get it. I'm all for supporting your local model shop, but few will honour the original price, and as you said Colin, there have been two price increases and along with a long delay in delivery, the overall increase can be substantial, which makes the original pre-order price even more attractive.

Yes, I learnt the hard way although most of my other orders were with Hornby, so I got my Hush Hush at the original advertised price. I did like to spread the pre orders around to keep retailers in business. I still have orders with Hornby for the P2 and the Flying Scotsman with steam generator, so hopefully I will get those at the original price. I must admit £200 is normally my limit for a loco, it was only that I had pre ordered it that I paid the £224. I am not sure whether these will sell out, they are nice locos, vast improvement on the old Railroad version (which you would expect). Mind you, a friend of mine's daughter paid £600 for a pair of Jimmy Choo shoes (a very special purchase for her 40th), so my loco looks really cheap compared to those.

The reason I ordered my most recent locos on pre-order direct from Hornby was because of their supply issues of late. Plus there is that business of Hornby not treating some of their long time retailers very well and at least one shop (I forget the name) said they won’t be stocking Hornby pre-orders.

I really wanted these locos, so I went where I knew I’d almost definitely get one. Just how it is sometimes.

@ColinB

You wouldn't want to walk on a 9F though joy

But on the subject of honouring pre-order prices, I have a set of Genesis coaches on order from Hatton's which I placed about a year ago any they are honouring the price that it was when I placed the order, although they have just raised the price for new orders by £10.

I ran mine for the statuary 30 minutes for running in, no issues. I only run 4 carriages with long sweeping bends so I wouldn't notice any real torque issues. Mind you he highlighted the Bachmann 9F for the same fault and I never noticed any real issues. I like Sam's reviews but sometimes you have to look at your own use and see if it is an issue. I am surprised Hornby used that motor rather than their normal one, but they obviously have their reasons, perhaps the low speed running is better. The front bogie derails if I go at maximum speed over my double slip, but I think that is more to do with my track. When I was fitting DCC one of the connectors on the 4 pin plug was on its way out, so I had to push it back in.