Locomotive transfers

mike aaron

Hi to any one who can help, I'm respraying an 8F loco and tender body into WD grey. I will be spraying the loco body grey and black and the tender all grey and the white letters plus numbers will be WD, 302 plus the WD emblem (an upside down V). Any advise will be useful. Kind regards Mike

Hi Mike

Repainting locos is one of the things I find most rewarding in the hobby. As a first step look through the selection offered by Fox Transfers and Railtec. Decals go on best to a gloss surface so I would suggest a coat of glass varnish before the decals then a coat of either matt or satin once the decals have been applied.

Have fun.

If you are doing a search, you may come up with Modelmaster Jackson Evans. I have used them many times in the past, and they are very good. However their current delivery times almost prohibit buying from them. I have an order confirmed and paid for in May 2022 and I am still awaiting delivery - I did get an email a couple of weeks ago saying the order was being processed - I am still waiting.

I do not like being negative about a supplier, and I am aware they have had some problems, but nobody likes waiting for months for the product when your payment was taken immediately the order was placed.

Enthusiasts:

You are aware that you can simply print your own?

<a href="https://www.belloflostsouls.net/2022/06/hobby-tutorial-make-your-own-custom-decal-sheets.html"> Make your own decals </a>

[so even a direct insertion of hyperlink code doesn't work. The person who made this code should be frog marched back to his computer]

Make your ownDecals

Bee

I did the same thing around twenty years ago and found it difficult from to find suitable transfer. In the end I use soe Private owner wagon numbers for the loco number (300) and some rub down white transfers for the W and D from a company called decadry (I think) however, I do not know if they are still in business. Sadly I did not varnish the loco and these have come off so am searching myself

If you are printing your own transfers i would suggest getting white transfer paper and trying to match the grey