Help with my 3 level double track up and back.

Matthew-1286209

• Replies 63
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Hi All

This is my latest effort showing route indicators and polarity the green track is my RLM protected track with isolated breaks. Hope it makes sense!!

Cheers

Matthew

RDS Moderator Note: I have spent some time editing your images which hopefully makes them easier to view.

forum_image_63f550cdef604.thumb.png.1f7300a7349a57622e2029ccc01ac33a.png

Hi WeyMatt 👋.

Before I begin, I will point out that I suffer from CDO. This is the same illness as OCD, but in my case, the letters are arranged properly! A joke obviously. I do not have this affliction. But it serves to highlight what follows.

I've carefully studied this portion of the plan. I include the reference image so you can understand what I am talking about

forum_image_63f55b66528e5.png.193a562148ea607ae948ad6b15e58583.png

Firstly, yes, you need that isolating section. You do understand that the length of any train you run MUST be less than this isolated section. How long is it, in inches?

There are a few track difficulties.

Right at your curved point cross over, I see this gap. My CDO demands that you close it.

forum_image_63f55b68987b8.thumb.png.9a22a559c92b4c62e3c0040db06d5066.png

There are these two 6.8" flex tracks that overlap. Neither completes the circuit. My CDO is twitching.

forum_image_63f55b6b74bc8.thumb.png.5004a80a09714434c1fb60b8cfb4550a.png

In this area, R8072 does not properly connect to R8073.

forum_image_63f55b6df2cd1.thumb.png.2c487d644f9952f4095332a525cd3bc6.png

In this area, you've selected Marklin double slip 24624 and connected it to Hornby R8073 point. R8073 doesn't connect properly after that. Have you considered the track code? The relative heights of the tops of the rails? Whilst they can be made to join, they will not simply clip together. Different systems, different attachments. There is lots to consider here. Now my CDO is making me nervous!

forum_image_63f55b7049be7.thumb.png.8cb0ebd7dcab6cf713848adc64eabd31.png

And finally we come to this. You have R8072 and R8073 laid directly on top of each other, and have created a three way point. My CDO has the best of me now!! Yikes

forum_image_63f55b729d52d.thumb.png.83eca346262ed1c85b7e6e077c9817cd.png

Please go over your entire plan. Make sure every bit of track connects without overlap or gaps. Use the track planning tool to generate a plan that can actually be built. How will you know? The tracks join. While you can "force it" when confronted by actual track, the best approach is to eliminate these dilemmas before you pick up a single piece of track.

Bee

Hi Bee

I have gone through your observations and sorted the bad junctions.

I have only used the Markin double slip as my program, Railmaster Pro, does not Have a double slip icon in the Hornby track library. It also does not have a 3 way junction. hence my solution. I do have some 3 way turnouts in may stock that I can substitute in the real layout.

Hope this gives you a little more confidence that I am not as hopeless as you think!!

Cheers

Matthew.

I have been using RM-pro for donkeys years and didn’t realise it had actual PN track pieces only simplistic track piece icons that assemble into a rough schematic of the track.

Nor does it do inclines.

Your plan looks more like it was done in Any-rail or Scarm.

Hi 96RAF

RM does do inclines.

You select connected track (Must be connected) on the RH side bar choose elevation. this will open a window where you choose start and end highs and it will tell what the incline % is.

If you use the 3D view, "top bar" you can see a representation of the incline you have produced. "Good gracious" I think I may have helped someone.

Cheers

Matthew

Could you possibly be confusing Railmaster with Trackmaster.

Trackmaster is layout planning, whereas Railmaster is layout control. A screen shot of the application you are using will nail it.

I have seen quite a few posts where posters have mixed up the application names, so there is forum history for this.

Weymatt, you wrote:
Hope this gives you a little more confidence that I am not as hopeless as you think!!

I don't think you hopeless. Not at all. I presented you with some areas of concern for resolution. Please do not read too much into that.

Your goal is the same as mine. A wonderful layout that provides great enjoyment.

My current layout is small. I have fun, but I want "the more". The next step is a bigger layout, of course. In planning, I've used SCARM to insure that every physical connection is as perfect as can be. That each curve has a specified radius. Every join has a perfect angle. I've mentally traversed the layout literally thousands of times, considering how it will function. I've used quite a bit of trigonometry to get there.

I then considered the entire electrical schematic. I know every wire routing, bus voltage, polarity, etc. I know where each circuit breaker will be, to protect me. Each and every component, all the wires.

I know exactly how much my proposed layout will cost, the complete BOM (bill of materials).

What I am trying to say is that: Prior Planning Prevents Poor Performance. The 5 P's of Engineering.

And now that the thought exercise is complete, will I build it? NO! Ha! I discovered, through mental play, that there were some deficiencies. The entire cycle will be repeated, with those deficiencies corrected. The schematics redrawn. Had I built it, those deficiencies would have caused disappointment. Better to discover them now, instead of later, after the layout is constructed.

As mentioned earlier, a monumental layout can prove very challenging. Particularly so if you are going to overlook small problems, which have a tendency to snowball and accumulate. Slow down a bit lad! Turn on your inner CDO.

Bee