3rd radius curve geometry

Clement Matchett

If you look at the Chadwick Model Railway review of The Eastener set on YouTube, you will see that Charlie confirms what I had already discovered for myself in my Scotsman set, that twelve 3rd radius curves don’t form a circle! There is a considerable overlap between the first and twelfth curve!

I suppose this could be an error which applies to only one of the moulds for the sleeper web and that some of us have just been unlucky, but I raised my problem with Simon (of Simon’s Shed on YouTube) and he replied that he had the same issue.

I don’t yet know whether the 2nd radius curves are more accurate, but I will shortly discover…mine arrived on Thursday.

Simon suggested that Hornby may have done this deliberately to cope with expansion and contraction, but personally I doubt that.

I suppose I will have to form my ovals with ten curves and some Peco flextrack, and try to cope with the fishplate issue.

Any comments?

Peter

I don’t know, Fishman. Some of them are pinned down and I would have to unpin them to answer your question. But when I laid out my track plan, I scribed a perpendicular from a point to give me a 180 turn, together with a cross line at 90. And when I had pinned six curves, it was clear that the intended semi-circle was an arc of about 190 degrees. I added a straight, but it was clear that something was wrong.

As I say, Charlie Chadwick has the same issue.

I wonder if its just the set track ?

I had some R3 purchased separately and they did not exhibit the "camber" the set track had, maybe its related ...

But I will say, I do think the geometry isn't perfect for any of the curves, at least they don't seem to go together as perfectly as one might expect.

The R3 curves in my Easterner set were all distorted - when sat on a flat surface there was a very obvious gap (1.5-2mm?) between the underside of the middle sleepers and the table.

I wonder if this is part of the same problem?

My track responded quite well to a bit of manipulation and is now acceptably flat.

Just put them together into a circle - not totally perfect but a 360+/-1 degrees polygon...

I want Hornby to succeed but they do need to sort out their quality control.

I have just checked my 4th radius circle and that sits flat on the floor with the correct diameter. It looks like a circle and not an oval.

There is always play in the joints for set-track so the above check is not rigorous. I have not set the track out on a scribed circle.

I have not looked that closely at the set 3rd-radius curves in my Easterner set. They seemed to sit ok with the oval I set up for testing but this was just loose on a table. I got the coach scraping sound as the train went round if that means anything.

Sam's Trains has reported an apparent error with the track geometry, first noticed by Charlie at Chadwick Model Railway. The track geometry is correct. It is that a circle requires either 19 TT8016 half curve 3rd radius, or 9 TT8005 Curve 3rd radius and 1 TT8016. It is just that a piece of TT80016 has not been supplied with the set. You get 10 3rd radius track pieces in the set, but you need 9, plus one half-length 3rd radius curve to make a circle, as the picture below shows.

forum_image_63ef84ec22b09.thumb.png.3e1df47981a17f6f520ae012e267cfca.png