Unrebuilt Merchant Navy

forester

• Replies 269
  • Created
  • Last Reply
Hi, Ozexpatriate, I remember when I was very young being on Waterloo Station when 21C1 Channel Packet arrived with the up Atlantic Coast Express. It must have been about 1941 and that loco was gleaming brand new!! How wonderful if we could have a model of that!! Its hooter type whistle sounded so strange and it was such a futuristic looking brute of a loco.

Fully support this. I am building a Golden Arrow kit of one on a Hornby MN chassis with BB/WC valvegear. When I put it up against a normal Hornby BB/WC you can certainly tell the difference. I want a third series one in BR blue. Some 1951 Golden Arrow pullmans would also be nice.

• 2 weeks later...
WTD,

But, sadly, not when I made that post, more than some time ago now. You will note that my signature is also included in the message.

Nevertheless it's all fixed now, as apparently are quoted replies!

But

back on topic, it would indeed be nice to have a as-built or unrebuilt (what an infernal word) Merchant Navy.

Hi Ozex

It is an infernal word and I refuse to use it in this connection, since it is incorrect. The locos are in original condition, to say unrebuilt implies that after rebuilding they were restored to original condition!! Therefore, as far as

I'm concerned Bulleid pacifics are either as built/original or rebuilt, nothing else!!! Now watch out for brown stuff coming from the direction of the fan!!

Couldn`t agree more with the comments with respect to the absence of the un-rebuilt Merchant

Navy. A quick look at Hornby`s releases for the class of 30, shows that only one, (35005 Canadian Pacific) of the first 10 released to traffic has been modeled. A curious gap?, almost as if this group had been reserved for the un-rebuilt loco. Wrenn was the

only Manufacturer to market this Loco but it was very much a compromise. Examples of these disappear, as fast as they are posted on the on-line auction sites and command quite high prices, if you are prepared to pay that is! proving, that added to the requests

on this forum there is a strong market for the model. Hornby are best placed to proceed, having all but the body and tender mouldings to complete the model. In addition, the scope of livery in particular was very varied. But, forever the optimist I believe

2012 may satisfy the situation?

I entirely "Endorse" your Comment. That the Bulleids are either "ORIGINAL", "As Built" or "Re-built"!!!! (That should also apply to LMS, Fowler Royal Scots, Rebuilt by Stanier, and Patriots rebuilt

by Ivatt!!)

Further! Is the use of there "Nickname".. I find followers of the other Big 4 Companies, and some Southern fans, call them "Spam Cans"... Whereas, most of my friends and other 'spotters', certainly up and down the SW section, called them

"Flat Tops"! A much better term, that I still use to this day.. Cheers IAN

Hi Ian,

Regret to say, to me they are Spam Cans, if I'm not using the proper name, even though I live just outside Eastleigh. In the early 60s, living in the north east I was used to the LNER pacifics, and LMS ones from day trips to Carlisle so

it is no wonder that Southern locos were alien. However, I haven't called an A4 a 'streak'for about 50 years. 'Black 5' is about the only nickname that I use (that I can think of off-hand). Just thought - I call the Hughes/Fowler 2-6-0 a 'Crab'

Just to add to the interest in the "Nicknames", which have been sited since this thread opened. Train spotting days for me, started in the mid 1940s!!!!
In those days an "As built" Merchant Navy was called a "Flannel Jacket", in cockney rhyming slang,

a play on the doyen of the class "21C1 Channel Packet". I must add I am of the belief that this Nickname may well have been confined to the Eastern counties and London area? as it was unknown where I now live in the West Country.
They have also been referred

to as "Air Smoothed". Perhaps, the "Packet" would be a good first choice for the requested model.

Much

traditional railway language is ungrammatical - but we still use it!

The term "unrebuilt" was in use among spotters within weeks of the first rebuild trial runs, I recall. You may not like it and you may choose to use another term - but that is what

they were commonly known as. I think we should continue the use of traditional railway terms, however ungrammatical. It is part of our history, after all.

The correct Southern Railway description is 'Air Smoothed'. It was a subterfuge to avoid criticism during the War for introducing 'Streamlined' locomotives at a time of austerity. The Merchant Navy class was announced to be 'Mixed Traffic' locomotives,

despite the fact that they invariably were found working the best express passenger services!

The reason for the casing was given by the SR publicity department was to allow them to be cleaned by fixed washing plants, although I am fairly certain none

ever were.

Rebuilding in 1956 was more than just taking the casing off. The valve gear was modified to provide three sets of normal Walschaerts valve gear instead of the chain drive. The cutting away of the tender side sheets had started before rebuilding.

Please

Hornby, let us have one!

I would certainly buy an " Air Smoothed, Flannel Jacketed, Flat Topped Spam Can". I wouldn't worry to much if it was "Original as built, re-built or un-rebuilt - but I could live without the widow's peak. I might even buy one in all the colours. It would

be a tremendous model!

You've just got a 'thing' about odd-shaped engines!! (I'm ducking now)

Incidently, I've often wondered - how did you get on changing the identity of that Merchant (Rebuilt) that you bought at Eastleigh??

Someone told me that the best thing to do was to mess it up.....then next time she gets in a 'little man' to do it. I'll have to get WTD to try it and, if it works, I'll have a go myself!!

I've just found the re-naming packs - Rotterdam Lloyd and White Star Line, seeing as Hornby were going to produce White Star Line, which then became Lamport & Holt Line II, it will be Rotterdam LLoyd - I will try and get it done this week, and will confirm

on completion.

The response to this thread suggests otherwise.
The unrebuilt MNs were significantly different to, and far more impressive than, the unrebuilt WC/BBs and the opportunities for Hornby in terms of livery, variations and special editions are far greater.

The fact that a Jarvis rebuild version has been available for the Merchant Navy for many years does not seem to have affected the popularity of it, nor the air smoothed West Country / Battle of Britain or the rebuilt West Country / Battle of Britain, all

of which have been produced in a variety of identities, and with a variety of tenders. The main chassis components are already designed, and in production, only the superstructure of locomotive and tender would be a new moulding, but a relatively simple one

to make. A similar argument will, I guarantee, eventually be made for a B17/5, and I would support GE enthusiasts who requested it.

Actually the Duke of Gloucester is the other 8P omission, and this too has a lot of common components with existing models.

The beauty of standardisation.

Archived