Unrebuilt Merchant Navy

forester

• 2 weeks later...
  • Replies 269
  • Created
  • Last Reply
I do so hate this unsensible terminology of an "Un-Rebuilt" Bulleid Pacific!!!!!! When it is it's original "Air SMoothed" form. All Bulleids should be referred to as just "Bulleid", or as "OVS" himself put it "Air Smoothed".. The 'Rebuilt' locos starting

from 1956. Were actually referred to by Eastleigh Works themsleves as "Modified"!
Afer all the new "Patriot", should be called an 'Un-Rebuilt'! Or we should refer to 'Royal Scot' and 'Scots Guardsman' as "Rebuilt Scots"!!! Or more to the point 60163 Tornado..

Is a "Modified A1"!!!!!!! "Un-Rebuilt"!!!! No no no .. Very Bad English!
Apart from that MERRY CHRISTMAS ALL

Railwaymen never referred to Bulleid's finest as unrebuilt - the affectation originated in the spotting community (which was once as influential as today's forums)

Instead they were variously known as light Pacifics (both BoB's and WC's), Spamcans,

Air-Smoothed and Merchants, whilst the modified epithet applied to both light and Merchants but once the latter were all rebuilt they were simply known as Merchants.

Getting back to whether Hornby will produce a MN, I regard the choice as a secondary

priority whilst the Southern can only offer a Q1 and C as goods locomotives. Hornby's release of an S15 or 700 would be far more logical but does that matter amongst those who only know steam from preservation?

Thats all on a basis, of "Who needs to know"!!!! lolol

The

term 'Flannel Jackets' was popular for a time, a form of Cockney Rhyming slang as practiced at the Lane, the Brick, and Nine Elms. It refers to the first of the class 21C1.

One nickname that did cause me to scratch my head was 'Mongolipers' for the

'N' class, 'Woolworths' I could understand, but 'Mongolipers' was obscure. It is something to do with balooning I understand.

If you look at the contents of most manufacturer's catalogues you will notice that the content is skewed in favour of the larger

and more prestigious passenger classes 7P and up. The Air Smoothed Merchant Navy would actually be a simple and cheap method of Hornby giving Southern fans another addition to their stable. The running gear is already in production (mix and match with the

light Pacific), and so it would only really require a new loco and tender superstructure. I have already done just this with a Golden Arrow body kit.

The S15 is certainly a good candidate for a future SR model, I would however struggle to choose between

a 700 and a 'Q', as the 'Q' was more widely employed across the divisions. A 'W' 2-6-4T would in fact make a really useful goods engine for Southern layouts, and I am surprised it doesn't get a mention. I would also like to see one of the Brighton 0-6-2Ts,

an E4 perhaps, these found their way nearly everywhere, and one nearly made it to the Isle of Wight too.

PP Thank you for the kind offer but I bought the MRC article at the time and I too have it helping me to save money in my attic. There is quite a good line drawing of the side elevation of the body in 4mm scale as I recall it. In the intervening time I

believe Finecast has produced a dedicated W kit. As I still have about six whitemetal kits (including two U1s) still to finish I think it unlikely I will be buying another kit for that purpose.

Sadly probably true,

however I shall have a jolly good go at it!!

If the locomotive is in a different form or

has a different livery I would buy it if it matched my basic geographic and period requirement. I do in fact have a few Schools class with the same name but because they are in SR and BR liveries I don't get too hung up about it. As no-one makes a RTR Merchant

Navy in original condition any of the 30 names would do for me (OK I'd be a bit disappointed if it were 35030 as I have made a kit of this one, but I can quickly rename and renumber it.) In fact I may already be facing this dilemma, as I have a renamed tender

drive Britannia, as 70004, but now Hornby has announced a loco drive one I may get this, especially as it appears dressed for the Golden Arrow, (Can we have some accurate 1951 Golden Arrow Pullman cars to go with it too please?)

• 3 weeks later...
as i understand the casting around the smoke box and the cab windows where all differnt on the frist MN ( frist 10 i think ) and kept being redesigin would this have any thing to do with hornby not making a model? i am not a SR fan but a good model of

MN would be nice to see and i think i would have to bay at lest one

You are correct, there were in fact three batches, the first batch very different originally from the remainder. Over the years however they all ended

up looking very much the same as they went through Eastleigh for overhaul. If you look carefully the front end the original MN and the LNER P2 have much in common.

Archived