Other manufacturers copying Hornby.

Competition is good for the business it stops firms products going stale. I imagine it is Accurascale you are referring to. Generally if these models are like their others this firm makes a better model for a cheaper price, which has to be good.

I’d personally like to see manufacturers make new models rather than copying another brands model. That being said, copying a popular well selling is a no brainer.

Ultimately companies exist to make money, and if doing the same thing as everyone else brings in the money, that’s what they’ll do.

No other manufactures are not copying Hornby they a just producing a new version of a model Hornby produced back when which is clipping Hornby's wings in regards to up grades, that is why Hornby have introduced the TT range so as to diversify from a very crowded OO gauge market place with a dozen plus manufacturers in it.

I am a big fan of competitive spirit.

Firstly, the prototypes are there. These prototypes are available to all and sundry. No company has the exclusive rights to a 9F or a Deltic. Yes, certain locomotives are covered under copyright, like Thomas, but those are exceptions, not the rule.

Competition benefits the Enthusiast, as every company will try to out do the others. Be it price, accuracy, detail or what have you, competition is good for us.

If a company wants to compete for business, they would do well to understand the competitions offerings. In detail. Specifically what is good about them and how to do better.

So if Accurascale "muscles in" on Hornby, or Hornby "muscles in" on Rapido, I say....

LET THE GAMES BEGIN!

Bee

Certainly any manufacturer that ignores Intellectual Property law, is obviously in the wrong. However as @bee says, models of any locomotive classes or prototypes (that aren’t covered by exclusivity licences) can’t belong to any company.

Therefore competition is almost always in the customer’s interest, as it increases the range of prices or features offered. No manufacturer is going to identically duplicate another company’s product (without offering any difference at all) since there would be no market for it.

Looking at the locos produced, there isn't a lot left that hasn't been modelled to a reasonable degree of accuracy so I think there will be more duplicates.

The one that annoyed me the most was when Hornby announced their Hall a few years back. At the time I think I muttered something about not getting one as I already had two Bachmann ones unless the Hornby version had a 3500g tender. By chance or design Hornby's version did have the small tender so I eventually bought a couple because it added variety so I wasn't too miffed in the end.

Oddly Bachmann haven't made a 3500g tender version themselves despite producing that particular tender for other locos.

@ Atom,

Never been able to get a close look at the loco in the Shakespeare set but thanks for the link. It is indeed a 3500g tender. All we need now is Hornby to put a Hawkesworth tender behind one of their Halls and we have a full set of duplicates!

Other duplicates were the Hornby and Lima Western Hydraulics, Class 37, Class 47 and Class 31, the latter also being made by Airfix.