Turbomotive

Topcat2018

Does anyone know where Hornby got the body dimensions and detailing for Turbomotive? Looking at the "As Constructed" drawing on page 183 of Tim Hillier-Graves excellent book, at first glance the Hornby model appears to be based on this. However, there appear to be some discrepancies.

I superimposed the picture taken from the Hornby website on the drawing taken from the book, and noticed the following:

1. The chimney appears to be too for forward.
  2. The chimney appears to be too short.
  3. The safety valves appear to be too far back.

However, there appear to be no photographs of this "as built" configuration with the combined steam dome and regulator, and photos that there are appear to conform more to the Hornby model as regards the chimney and positioning of the safety valves.

Apart from the turbine casings, the Hornby body shape and positioning of features seems very similar to a Chinese-made "Princess Louise that I have, except that the Princess Louise chimney is single rather than double. Did they lift features from those Princess locos?

@ColinB

So although it looks superficially like the "as built" version with the combined steam dome and regulator, if the first one was actually built to the dimensions in the drawing then the Hornby model is wrong.

On the other hand, as LMS already had the Princess class, why would they have changed details on the first (and only) Turbomotive that weren't anything to do with the turbine system. On balance it looks as though that "as built" drawing in the book is wrong.

I have to admit I know nothing about what it looked like, Hornby spent a lot of time and effort on it (for once I believe the program), so I assume that they did the best available with the data available. It is a completely new casting (it is diecast) so I doubt they copied other models, they obviously thought that their data was correct. I assume like the cars I worked on, all through their lives there are subtle changes, so perhaps there was with this loco. I honestly don't know. Seeing as Simon is paranoid about RMWeb reviews I have difficulty understanding that they would get it wrong especially as the designer was looking at black and white photos.

I'm still puzzling over the dimensions of the new Hornby Turbomotive v. the Princess Elizabeth that I have v. the "as built" drawing from the book.

The dimensions from the as built drawing, from the front of the buffers to the back vertical of the cab add up to 589.5 inches. This translates to 197 mm at 1/76 scale. However, the corresponding dimensions of my Princess Elizabeth add up to 194 mm and if the Hornby Turbomotive has the same overall dimensions as the Princess Elizabeth then it is 4 mm (or a foot full size) shorter than the as built drawing.

Does anyone have a Hornby Turbomotive that they can measure? If not please buy me one!

It is a loco I have wanted for many years. I do have an unmade kit for the loco but initially thought to buy this. However, I won't. The loco entered service in June 35. Almost exactly a year later, she was fitted with the 40 element domed boiler but because of initial teething problems with the reverse turbine and 4 visits to the works, she was in the shed for nearly half.

With the removal of the discount as well, I shall probably build the K's kit into the version which was the longest lived and can be run alongside the Coronation loco's as she had the domed boiler a year before they entered service.