Esu ecos and HM7000

Might I summarise what is generally known and reported here:

• HM7000 decoders work with all manner of NMRA compliant controllers incl ECOS, known from Day 1
  • there is a reported ECOS limitation of not being able to program HM7000 decoders
  • the limitation is easily overcome by the way many report how they use their decoders: program via the far more user-friendly app then run with you DCC controller (if you prefer this to running with the app)

1 tiny detail to add to Fishy’s comprehensive list (hopefully it’s obvious - but just in case):

• Once you’ve finished programming (in app) switch decoder into DCC mode (also in app) in order for it to respond to DCC commands.

(N.B. It is possible to accomplish this step by writing value 0 to CV12 from a DCC controller - but obviously that isn’t relevant if there is an issue with DCC programming!)

Sorry, missed intermediate posts. Reference: ringing. @ColinB

Basic, non-stretched DCC square waves have periods of 2 x 58microseconds or 2 x 100microseconds so we are talking of 8.6kHz or 5kHz which is not exactly demanding. I have hooked up an oscilloscope to a few DCC layouts and seen only well-formed square waves.

It is always possible to have unusual loading on a circuit, of course, to give ringing but this should not happen on a programming track with, hopefully, a short wiring run.

My first suspicion remains that the decoder current draw is too high for the programmer. We need a few more numbers before conjecturing why. 

Edited by dBerriff

As previously stated HM7K decoders were tested by Hornby with an older ECOS and nothing untoward was seen.

You may wish to read the NMRA standard about programming and in particular the para on page 2/3 about Power On Cycle which describes the potential and duration after which the controller will see an over current condition - https://www.nmra.org/sites/default/files/standards/sandrp/pdf/S-9.2.3_2012_07.pdf

1 hour ago, dBerriff said:

Sorry, missed intermediate posts. Reference: ringing. @ColinB

Basic, non-stretched DCC square waves have periods of 2 x 58microseconds or 2 x 100microseconds so we are talking of 8.6kHz or 5kHz which is not exactly demanding. I have hooked up an oscilloscope to a few DCC layouts and seen only well-formed square waves.

It is always possible to have unusual loading on a circuit, of course, to give ringing but this should not happen on a programming track with, hopefully, a short wiring run.

My first suspicion remains that the decoder current draw is too high for the programmer. We need a few more numbers before conjecturing why. 

I am not so sure about the current, it could be the programming period is too short. Hornby will have checked it with all the devices they make and that is probably as far as they go.

Edited by ColinB