What do you use as a Buffer Stop?

JJ73

@TH

Don't forget that if you are using DCC and create a dead section by cutting the track you will need a switch to bridge the cut so you can reverse the loco out again. If you are using analogue you can simply bridge the cut with a diode so that when the supply polarity is reversed current will flow through the diode.

The other DCC disadvantage with cut rails is if you have a number of programs without loco detection. To get timings right I often gently run up against the buffer to effectively reset the loco positions, so you need to avoid dead sections.

Brilliant idea though for analogue, never thought of that wink.

For DC the rail-gap and diode method has been used for many decades.

Simple automatic end-to-end shuttle unit designs rely on this method to stop the loco while the timer completes a cycle until it then reverses the polarity. More complex shuttles use some form of detector to sense when the loco reaches the end - reed switches, infra-red detectors etc. I use IR detectors with my shuttle system.

Hi all

I use the older Hornby system six buffer stops, Hornby Dublo illuminated hydraulic buffer stops that have been wired to light up as soon as the layout is powered up. Peco set track and streamline buffer stops. I have used a piece of rail insulated and soldered across the track a wood screw that has a pile of acrylic modelling paste for a dirt pile, sleepers and a stop sign.

Wheel stops at the end of the track super glued and painted bright orange or yellow as per the prototype.

A case of whatever suits what I am doing at the time and will stop anything going off the end of the track.

For temporary I don't have one use, I use a block of wood and a wood screw to hold it in place until I have one. I then fill in the hole and scenic over it when I have a suitable buffer stop or more track to continue the line to where it is going.

I also run analogue so DCC doesn't even figure into the consideration

where needed eg:- passenger terminals close to the edge of the known world I also cut a rail and put a diode across it to stop the train but still allow it to reverse I would rather not see the station building and train go to oblivion.

regards John