HM DCC issues (HM7000-8TXS Cable Length and Replacement Speaker with Plug)

Largsbhoy

I returned to the hobby a couple of years ago, in my mid seventies. I have a dozen locos with TTS sound. Cheap, cheerful and reliable. I now have three TXS decoders. Very innovative, a good app, and a good profile switching facility. Two issues however. Firstly using 8 pin decoders, the length of wiring while probably useful for diesels, is a real pain squeezing in to the tender of a steam loco. Secondly and more importantly the speaker provided is very poor quality. Like others I have experienced crackling and deterioration of sounds. I want to replace the speaker but am unable to do any soldering. Does anyone know of any other speakers with the same connector as Hornby is using?

AS BM says, no one has yet sourced the plugs which require a special tool for crimping the pins. As for the speaker being ‘poor’, try turning the volume down on the app to 30% or less as aboveboard that level they show signs of stress.

From my perspective, shorter wires would be a disadvantage - at least the longer wires give more options for locating the various gubbins in the tender. In this picture I have fitted a TTS (same size as the TXS), a sugarcube and a home made stayalive by putting the wiring in the space under the ballast weight with the decoder at the opposite end to the plug. I could not have done that with shorter wires.

forum_image_64c8d86dc23d8.thumb.png.b63470508727e981a07826d66fa40b03.png

The short answer is no. I've not come across any and I don't think many, if any on here have either. Even the plugs themselves seem to be like hens teeth. There is a thread not far down the list here discussing this.

I found the SUHR- 02V-2-B 2-pin 0.8mm pitch plugs and terminal pins on Ali Express but there was no way a mere fumble fingered mortal was going to be able to crimp those pins onto wires and assemble to the plug. I have pestered Hornby to provision wired plugs as spares packs but their answer was generating a SKU is difficult - so make it easier as there is an obvious need for these bits. You can get 15x11mm speaker drivers from Roads and Rails for £2.99 each when their real cost is pennies but without the wired plugs they are useless.

forum_image_64c91a230e49b.thumb.png.2dee5d6be10dc5295139264a1ef69341.png

Yes, I have a speaker from Roads in one of mine but I had to unsolder the wires with the plug on from the duff speaker and solder onto the replacement one. It would be good if Hornby supplied wired plugs. Can't see why generating a SKU number would be that difficult.

Don't suppose you have a link to a supplier, Rob? I'm sure my shaky hands would not be able to tackle the job of crimping a assembling, much like yourself but my son, who is also an electronics engineer is coming for a visit next week. I'll see if he is up to the task.

Don't suppose you have a link to a supplier, Rob? I'm sure my shaky hands would not be able to tackle the job of crimping a assembling, much like yourself but my son, who is also an electronics engineer is coming for a visit next week. I'll see if he is up to the task.

Even JST suggest an automatic terminal pin crimp and assembler.

I have asked a Chinese supplier for a quote for supply of 100 harnesses x 100mm long with the SUHR-02V-S-B plug. We shall see if they come up trumps with a decent price for MoQ. If so I would probably jack the order number up to 500 or more and resale them here.

@Brew Man

DigiKey.co.uk sell the SUHR-02V-S-B 0.8mm pitch two way housing. These are the 2 way 0.8mm pitch housing only and do not come with terminal pins that need to be ordered separately.

SUHR-02V-S-B JST Connector. | DigiKey

DigiKey also sell pre-terminated wired SSUH-003T-P0.15 connector housing terminal pins as a separate item.

Jumper Wires, Pre-Crimped Leads | DigiKey

Home assembly is required to insert the wired terminal pins into the housing, but at least the hard work of crimping wires on the terminal pins is already done. The wired terminal pins are just a push in and click fitting, albeit very tiny with finger dexterity required.

The pre-wired jumper wires have terminal pins at both ends, so it would make sense to order the 8", 10" or 12" long ones and cut them in half.

These may ship from the USA even though ordered in £s on a "co.uk" website, so delivery charges may be a bit steep for a small quantity order.

Mods, could we please add to the title “- HM7000-8TXS Cable Length and Replacement Speaker with Plug”

A suggestion for those raising new topics - if you are doing so because you have issue/s, can you please include what it/they is/are in the title rather than keeping it a secret until the topic is opened. That way, you are more likely to get good replies and, in future, people with the same problem may be able to do a successful search for the answer.

Titles will never be fully definitive but we can do a lot better than a series of Issue 1, Issue 2, Issue 3, ……….., Not Another Issue.

With apologies to Largsbhoy, the OP.

Edit - thanks Mods.

Thanks, Rob, I'll wait and see the outcome of your endeavours.

Positive response from the company checking harness details before quoting. Company video shows automatic manufacture, etc so not a back street place. I eagerly await a price.

I have no doubt I could shift as many as I ordered but price would have to be jacked up to cover postage and there is already a guy on eBay flogging 10 for £10 plus £1 postage.

If anyone else wants to give it a go K will send details of the firm in China with a contact name and spec.