GM DCC93 Ruby - Can I connect a stay alive ?

Too Tall

The DCC93 is a 2 function direct fit 6 pin decoder that does not have a wiring harness. Being 6 pin, means that the positive side of the bridge output is not extended externally off the PCB board.

The DCC93 PCB is a tiny 10mm x 11mm and the bridge rectification components are SMD mounted (dimensions as stated on the GM website DCC93 datasheet).

Although it is technically possible to add a 'stay alive' to virtually all decoders. The DCC93 is not IMO a really suitable candidate, due to its physical attributes i.e the tiny physical size and SMD component mounting. Even if you could identify the + & - outputs of the bridge to connect a stay alive capacitor to. The SMD (Surface Mounted Device) nature of the components is likely to lift off the PCB when an iron is applied to solder a wire and given the PCB is only 10mm x 11mm it is very unlikely that there is even space for the tip of even the smallest iron tip to attach a wire without bridging adjacent PCB pads and/or fatally damaging the decoder.

Yes, I was thinking I may as well use a BT decoder, If I am happy with the next18 one I have coming for the pacific. I was trying to avoid the body chopping required for the TT class 08 but as Hornby are intent on messing up their new system with lack of 6 pin chips for a year etc, it looks like I'll have no choice !

At least I know it has been done and there is a video for it and more kissing_closed_eyes