Does eLink work with HM7000

Mark 3

Hi Mark, welcome to the Forum.

HM7000 can be used in either Bluetooth or DCC mode, so yes it can be used with eLink in DCC mode or from an Android or IOS device with Bluetooth.

I have changed the title of your post to remove your name and replaced it to describe your question.

Just to add and for you to be aware that if buying a TXS sound HM7000 decoder. It functions out of the packaging as a DCC decoder controllable by Railmaster / eLink, but if you want to replace the default steam loco sounds with a sound scheme more suited to your loco for example if a Diesel you HAVE to use either the Apple IOS or Android APP to install the replacement sounds via Bluetooth then return the decoder back to DCC Control. This sounds installation task can NOT be performed by ANY DCC Controller.

If you buy a loco with a factory fitted TXS HM7000 Sound Decoder, then that decoder should have appropriate sounds already installed thus no Bluetooth APP is required at all.

Just to add - you can use the eLink to provide a suitable and approved track power source and run the HM7K decoder from the app or by flipping modes app to DCC you can run it from RM as told of others, whilst also running your other locos alongside from RM.

The only 'downside' with the eLink is that it will not be compatible with the Legacy Dongle, for that you need an Elite or Select unit with the Xpressnet port. However, if you're not interested in controlling legacy decoders with the HM7000 app, there is no issue.

Hi guys,

This news could be good to know for some members to the forum.

I have a Hornby hst 125, and I want to use it with the HM7000.

I've plugged in 2 HM7000 8 pin Bluetooth sound decoders, one in each engine.

I didn't know if they would work in tandem with each other, so I contacted Hornby.

They gave me an email address for the Hornby team that are working with the HM7000.

I sent my email to the team with my query.

I received an email from the team, explaining that they are working on a download as we speak, to allow this function.

The member of the team who replied to my email was the one and only head of HM7000 George Waller.

What a really nice guy he is.

Much appreciated George.

You could but the eLink doesn’t have an RJ connector, it is USB.

There was a trial installation to enable Xpressnet comms in the eLink by fitting a socket and the driver components and I got that far, but the project was dropped before the firmware update was issued which would have turned the comms channel on…

forum_image_651461a24cbe1.png.973a8f198208de6459725e3434c0943f.png

The HM7000 Decoders have two separate modes of operation. One mode is traditional DCC for which the three stated DCC Controllers can operate the HM7000 Decoders using DCC Commands sent over the track. The other HM7000 operation mode is wireless communication rather than using the track, via Bluetooth using the IOS or Android APP.

But when using the Bluetooth wireless APP, the HM7000 decoders still need a power supply via the track. This power supply can either be pure DC using a DC power supply connected directly to the track OR can be DCC power supplied by the Select / Elite / eLink DCC Controllers connected to the track.

Therefore, the stated Hornby text is just confirming that the Select, Elite & eLink are compatible with both modes of HM7000 Decoder operation. They can control them via traditional track DCC OR they can be used to just provide track power to support Bluetooth wireless communication via the APP.

Note that both modes of operation are mutually exclusive and not concurrent. In other words you use one operation mode or the other, you can not use them both at the same time on the SAME HM7000 decoder.

The Select, Elite & eLink are all Hornby DCC Controller products, they all control locomotive decoders via the track using DCC Commands. There are three different ones doing the same basic function because each have their own set of operational capabilities that are different in different price bands. For example, the eLink can only be used with RailMaster Windows PC software and has no physical button & knob capability. The Select has limited DCC Addressing capabilities & other limitations, whereas the Elite has full DCC NMRA Specification functional capability as well as the ability to work with RailMaster.