New Profiles Feedback

Brew Man

13 hours ago, nigeb said:

I'm having a couple of problems:

With the P2 profile (installed on 21 TXS in Thane of Fife) there is short blast of idle sound at idle then silence. Once the speed step reaches 8 and above the chuffing and steam sounds seem to be ok. I've tried resetting the decoder and reloading the profile multiple times. I tried a second 21 TXS and did same with the same result.

You've downloaded the wrong P2 sound profile to the decoder. It sounds as though you'd downloaded SD034 which is for the sync'd steam P2, Prince of Wales. You actually need profile SD008 which is the standard non-sync'd steamer.

• Like 1

7 hours ago, creilly81 said:

You've downloaded the wrong P2 sound profile to the decoder. It sounds as though you'd downloaded SD034 which is for the sync'd steam P2, Prince of Wales. You actually need profile SD008 which is the standard non-sync'd steamer.

Thanks creilly81 - thanks for help, will try it and report back - I've managed to do 10 other loco's and all good

8 hours ago, creilly81 said:

I just checked, it is the SD008 profile I've downloaded and installedm not SD0034 with steam generator. Have now downloaded SD008 to it 8 times with full reset in between and just get short blast of sound at idle (step 0) no sound (step 1-7). At step 8 chuffing starts,
I think maybe a decoder failure, beginning to think maybe one or more of the sound channels aren't working.

Edited by nigeb

Does the loco have a 'blade' connector between loco and tender like Flying Scotsman? Probably not as itsTofF.

I would suspect that or dirty track/wheels or a lack of Powerbank long before assigning blame to the decoder itself. Also, what controller/PSU are you using, could that be tripping?

Edited by SteveM6

31 minutes ago, SteveM6 said:

Does the loco have a 'blade' connector between loco and tender like Flying Scotsman? Probably not as itsTofF.

I would suspect that or dirty track/wheels or a lack of Powerbank long before assigning blame to the decoder itself. Also, what controller/PSU are you using, could that be tripping?

There is a blade type connector, but there are pickups on the locomotive and tender so I would not expect to need a power bank. The track is clean and soldered joints, with repeat power connections on each track section.

Loco runs smoothly on DCC in terms of movement, just the idle sound that's not working.

10 other TXS decoders (3x8 pin, 7x21 pin) fitted in last 7 days and all other loco's sounds working as expected on same ECOS/track - will try downloading SD008 profile into one of the other locos and see what happens.

I've got a lot of DCC loco's 40+ - only this one with issue at the minute 🙂 

Edited by nigeb

'Proper' troubleshooting - that's what I like.

While you have the loco on the bench, check the pickups are making good contact with the wheels and that they are clean - just as important as clean track. I appreciate the comment regarding the long wheelbase etc but that in itself can be an issue if the track isn't completely flat. Personally I choose to fit stay alives to every loco regardless of wheelbase.

5 minutes ago, SteveM6 said:

'Proper' troubleshooting - that's what I like.

While you have the loco on the bench, check the pickups are making good contact with the wheels and that they are clean - just as important as clean track. I appreciate the comment regarding the long wheelbase etc but that in itself can be an issue if the track isn't completely flat. Personally I choose to fit stay alives to every loco regardless of wheelbase.

Thanks Steve - I'm slowly working through troubleshooting steps to find the root cause 🙂 

The model is almost new out the box so this it's inauguration

Edited by nigeb

In addition to trying the P2 profile in another decoder & loco, also try another profile with this decoder & loco, then try swapping decoders between locos.

You need to isolate if issue is with loco, decoder, profile, or something else!

3 minutes ago, LTSR_NSE said:

In addition to trying the P2 profile in another decoder & loco, also try another profile with this decoder & loco, then try swapping decoders between locos.

Yeah, exactly that approach, just wondered if anyone else had a problem with this particular profile - seems not so most likely something else.. Thanks for help both.

I'll try the Princess Coronation profile as I have that in the Queen Mary and it works a treat

Edited by nigeb

59 minutes ago, LTSR_NSE said:

Hi LTSR_NSE - probs a bit odd but, I just loaded the coronation profile and it works perfectly, motor control, idle sound and checked all other sounds as well, so not a decoder issue - reloading SD008 P2 profile...

Reloaded P2 profile - exactly same problem, at idle there is a short burst of steam sound (perhaps 1 second) then silence. After speed step 8 chuffs start and match speed change. Below step 8 no soumd. Whistles and other sounds seem to work, just no base steam sound. Will try loading profile into the one in the Queen Mary and see if same problem (different decoder & loco)

I have of course already checked all firmware up to date, including bluetooth

Edited by nigeb

Right, installed the P2 SD008 profile in the coronation loco, including the function map and then refreshed the CVs.

Different loco, different TXS21 decoder. Outcome is exactly the same, quick burst of steam sound (1 sec approx) then silence when loco is idle, above step 8 chuffs start.

Tried loading P2 SD034 profile just as a test - the loco doesn't have speed sensor - the steam in idle sounds works as expected, but also as expected, no 'chuff' until high speed steps, since there's no input for the speed sensing.

So the conclusion I've come to is there is some issue with the SD008 profile. I'll raise it to Hornby and see what they come back with. In the meantime, I'll have a look at the CV settings and see if there's something in those that's maybe just set wrong in the default profile - the fact the sound comes on at step 8 suggests this to me as I some decoders have some setting that can be used for triggering at this particular step.

Thanks again for help with root cause analysis 🙂 

• 2 weeks later...
On 05/09/2024 at 20:47, 96RAF said:

Check CV29 to see if complex speed curve is enabled or if it is using the 3-point curve. If complex curve then look at the values for speed steps < 8.

Hi 96RAF, just been down your way this week, just spotted you're in Dereham. Latest: Hornby have asked me to send the loco/decoder for them to check. I have advised them as well I've tried the SD008 profile in 2 other locos/hm7000 21 pin decoders and the behaviour is the same in each. I'll advise what the outcome is. I'll check the cv29 today as I won't be able to send it off till later in the week

• Like 1