Using PLC`s

Dukedog.

In their simplest form PLCs consist of a PCB with a microcontroller and a number of relays on it. They can be programmed to switch the relays according to the program and also in response to digital inputs. The more sophisticated ones have analogue inputs, and analogue outputs that I suppose could be used to control the speed of DC locos.

The more sophisticated ones aren't cheap, but cheaper than a typical loco.

Not something I use myself. If I want something programmable I use Microchip PIC microcontrollers on a home-made PCB or prototyping board.

Loads of uses for PLC'S on layouts, level crossings, signals, points etc . I sometimes dabble with PIC programming of MCU's. It's mainly 8 bit and 16 bit stuff nowadays. I left embedded software work behind years ago and now it's a hobby related thing. I am a bit greedy as I have enough kit to program 4 MCU's at a time including PLCC'S. I tend to still use 8 bit 12f83 and 16f84 micro controller ic's

The loco detection kit I use has sensor isolation that uses AT2313A processors. The Txs gather sensors data and send their signals via fibre optic each to a daughter Rx mounted to a motherboard that talks to the PC running TGG.

forum_image_651bc199e594e.thumb.png.0699363ee6971cf17bfe0211657c3af8.png