Peco wagon received

Silver Fox 17

A comparison between Hornby and Peco wagons.

Both are the same overall length over buffers but the Peco one has a shorter wheelbase, 9' as opposed to 10' of the Hornby one.

The Peco coupling is not as neat and effective as the Hornby one. The Hornby one has a smoother lateral movement as opposed to the Peco which is like a radial movement, and fairly stiff at that.

The mounting pocket of the Peco one is not as nice as the Hornby one and a few of mine were angled upwards requiring them to be bent down to all couple on the same plane together. Also at this stage the Peco coupling of wagons was not as good as the Hornby ones (which is not 100% anyway). 2 or 3 of the wagons had to be lifted and hand coupled, one in particular would not couple up at all and I replaced it with a spare Hornby one. Some of you use the West Hill magnetic ones and those may be fine but I don't have them.

The running of the Peco wagons is superb, just like the Hornby ones, which was nice.

The finish looks to be very nice and time will tell if it stands up to handling.

In conclusion the Hornby one wins my vote but only due to the couplings, which, I am replacing on a lot of stock.forum_image_6532cd5ded57d.thumb.png.813104ee2cc31bc9aa5faee5f2267cb0.pngforum_image_6532cd6699ca5.thumb.png.f266b917dc5a644c3f40138aa423b519.pngforum_image_6532cd6e20e2c.thumb.png.2f4c0111df67366d612e44fcea43b104.pngforum_image_6532cd75b0c05.thumb.png.cda69cf801266879aeff6a1deba5eda7.png

Thanks for the assessment. Seems Hornby are ahead in areas that would really matter to modellers. Nothing more frustrating than stock that doesn’t couple

Along with that I guess it will be even harder to uncouple, especially if you want remote uncoupling.

I imagine fitting Tillig (or Hornby) ones will improve dramatically but I am not doing that as I am working on another system.

Wrong wheels, wrong colour and unreliable couplings, just how good are these Peco wagons? I look forward to seeing reviews.

Couplers seem a bit of a let down (although might be a bit of fettling or bedding in is required?). Not sure about your other two points? Colour seems fine to me, and the wheels are more than detailed enough for this purpose imo.

Hope to see some more goods wagons announced soon, salt vans, cattle vans, flatbeds etc.

It’s great to see another manufacturers product’s hitting the shelves. Nitpicking about minor discrepancies won’t help any of us get the stock we need. ;)

Personally I hope the Peco wagons sell out in a week so the company is encouraged to back the scale more. I too want salt, cattle, 5 plank, private owner wagons. To answer my own questions, when the wagon is running around, am I actually going to be able to see if it has spoked wheels or discs? No. Since the big four didn't have a standardised colour palette who is to say whether the GW wagon is to pale, besides paint fades in the sun. As far as couplings go, I replace all of my stock with Hunt magnetics so that isn't really an issue either. In conclusion. as long as they run well and look good do I actually care about the minor issues. NO. Just give me more wagons and signals and a turntable.......

Personally I hope the Peco wagons sell out in a week so the company is encouraged to back the scale more. I too want salt, cattle, 5 plank, private owner wagons. To answer my own questions, when the wagon is running around, am I actually going to be able to see if it has spoked wheels or discs? No. Since the big four didn't have a standardised colour palette who is to say whether the GW wagon is to pale, besides paint fades in the sun. As far as couplings go, I replace all of my stock with Hunt magnetics so that isn't really an issue either. In conclusion. as long as they run well and look good do I actually care about the minor issues. NO. Just give me more wagons and signals and a turntable.......

If you fit the Hunt couplings David you are in for a treat with these.

Yes, the Hunt couplings just clip into the nem pocket, I do tend to trim the insert end just to get them to fit snuggly. Note there is an up and down to them, so once you've fitted one just make sure future ones have the same orientation. Painting them matt black hides the shiny magnet too.

I got my first Peco wagon, a little disappointed. The yellow paint on my Coleman's strayed beyond the side of the wagon. I have had problems fitting my Hunts magnetic couplings. I actually snapped the coupling and will need to glue it on for my wagon to function. Obviously I'm delighted other companies are producing TT, but hope they are better quality.

I got my Peco wagons today, 1 of each, they're nice enough but like Trevor I too was a little disappointed. If you compare them to Hornby. The wagon detail could be better, no detail on the tipper end. The paint needs to be better applied, also there is no variation in grey between the LMS, NE and GWR, GWR ones are usually darker I think. The couplings are useless. Really should have spoked wheels. Peco might arguably do the better track, but Hornby's wagons are better by a flying mile. I have fitted Hunt magnetics to my wagons so now they couple nicely, I did trim the insert end first and you really have to be very careful. On a couple I actually removed the entire coupling assembly to insert the new magnetic to avoid breaking something. I'm really pleased Peco have entered the market and I will buy more of there stuff, if it fits my layout, but you do need to fettle them a little. A solid B+ for effort and the price is OK. Would I recommend them, YES, but be prepared to fiddle with the couplings no matter what style you use.