faulty motors

Curly 52

I have three engines the Easterner and two shunters all three engines have been sent back for repairs two times each, ie new motors fitted. I have the full track layout screwed down to a 18 mm plywood board on a track mat. the inner and outer tracks are linked together electrically and controlled by a gauge master 100M controller .

I only run one train at a time on the live tracks, others kept on the sidings. The trains seem to run fine for a few hours on and off then just stop running, the last shunter yesterday while running made a short bussing noise and stopped, when i examined it the casing on top of the engine had melted in a small area. They all come back with a note saying replaced motor. Can anyone shed any light on this problem or is just my bad luck . I am a 71 year old novice to this pastime just wanting to run a few trains, but not having much luck, yours hopefully

• Replies 102
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Even so, it does seem to be rather strange that you appear to be the only member reporting such a high number of faulty motors. Logic dictates that there must be something common in your setup that has a bearing on the issue. The problem is how to identify what it is.

Hmmm... trying to think how you could be getting so many motor failures. I hope there's no chance at all that you've somehow got an ac accessory supply also hooked into the track? Any old high frequency coach lighting units or HF "track cleaner" units feeding the track? That could cook a motor whist stationary if it's gone faulty, though you should hear a buzz. (It would be a bit like putting a DC loco on DCC track).

Judging by the off/on nature of the failures I'm wondering if it's a short circuit causing a temporary overload as P-Henny says, some sort of spike. Do you have a track diagram showing where the track feeds are? As said it's unusual for there to be motor failures in the first place, having six in three different locos is highly unusual, two different controllers and getting the same issue to me points to some sort of track issue.

Might be worth putting a multi meter across the tracks and seeing what output the controllers are giving, hard to imagine you have 2 that have given way over 12v, assuming the domestic supply isn’t at fault. Seems very bizarre that all locos have had multiple motor failure. It’s actually a very good quality motor.

On the domestic supply, I’m not an electrician, but I have heard cases quoted where domestic supply spikes or even massive over supply have caused huge problems, how true it is, I don’t know.

Very strange. I’ve not had any problems running my locos (with both Hornby set controller and Bachman set controller). I’ve switched to HM7000 DCC now for my TT layout, all six of my locos are running well (including Class 08s) with no motor issues.

Might be worth putting a multi meter across the tracks and seeing what output the controllers are giving, hard to imagine you have 2 that have given way over 12v, assuming the domestic supply isn’t at fault. Seems very bizarre that all locos have had multiple motor failure. It’s actually a very good quality motor.
On the domestic supply, I’m not an electrician, but I have heard cases quoted where domestic supply spikes or even massive over supply have caused huge problems, how true it is, I don’t know.

Domestic supply variations in Cyprus was often the cause of all electronics in the house blowing, especially during an electrical storm. Surge arrestors were essential unless you liked replacing all your electrical goods on a regular basis.

I don't know if this is any help but I replace a lot of my Railroad 3 pole motors with Pendolino 5 pole ones. On a lot of the motors I get I have noticed the clip that holds the magnets in is not attached properly when they were made, so they run alright for a little bit until the magnets drop onto the armature and jam. I generally fix them and I can usually tell when I spin them. I get roughly one in three that have this issue so it could be the motors. Although electronics is very sensitive to surges in power, generally motors smooth them out , it would have to an extremely big surge to blow up a motor, remember we are talking about a 20 to 1 reduction ratio. Was there any burning smell coming from the motor? Even if the power supply was giving too high a voltage you would notice, by the loco running faster.

just recieved one of my shunters GBRF back from hornby repairs, running it in 30 min each way at a steady 9 volts. Easterner still running ok this morning. extension lead to set is surge and spike protected, other shunter should be back next week

paper work with GBRF states motor, PCB and wiring harness replaced. many thanks for your comments

Just noticed you are using ‘power clips’ to supply power to the inner loop? You are running DC right? The point power clips are supposed to be for DCC power.

Are you running two lines simultaneously from one controller? I’m trying to visualise how your tracks are set up.

To lose so many loco motors really points to something unusual in your wiring or voltage setup I think.

how many trucks can you safely put behind the 08 shunters, i have severn is that ok

Yes it will happily pull a lot more than seven wagons. Just check the wagons are free rolling (there have been some reports of sticky wheels on the tank wagons).