Decoder chips : cost effective fitting

badgers

If they sell it with it already chipped, it is always cheaper. If it is sound fitted it seems with all Manufacturers it is cheaper. With Hornby it is substantially cheaper and you don't have the hassle of taking your brand new loco apart. On a sound fitted 9F from Hornby you save about £40 by buying it "Sound Fitted". Even with Bachmann, Accurascale and Dapol you generally save about £10. So yes always better to buy it DCC fitted or DCC sound fitted.

Unlike some of the more well known model retailer shops. I don't think (I may be wrong) that Hornby offer a warehouse decoder fitting service for models that are normally sold as 'DCC Ready'. Bare in mind that the locos are dispatched from the warehouse, not a shop.

Some of their locos come as DCC fitted, which is what I said, although it is only a few locos they do that with. The Peckett I have, came with DCC fitted. A lot of their newer locos come with sound fitted, but as you say Hornby don't offer a fitting service. I don't think the original post was asking that, what they were asking is the same question I ask is it cheaper to buy the loco with DCC fitted or to get it fitted after. In most cases if a manufacturer offers the model with DCC fitted it is cheaper than you buying the decoder and paying someone to fit it. Lendons do offer a service that if you buy the loco from them, they fit the decoder for free, well they were last time I looked. So that is another option.

• 2 weeks later...

Many model shops will offer this service - local to me Chester Model Centre offers free fitting if decoder and loco are bought together, they also do dcc and sound fitting for quite reasonable cost - including the new TXS decoder from hornby!