2024 range - oo gauge steam locos

I’d go further and say it is The most significant steam loco produced, in 1:1 or model form! 200th anniversary next year of the worlds first steam railway and Locomotion kicking off the very basis of this hobby and Hornby drop this on us, fantastic! I’d never considered going for anything era 1 but this is something really special, so far it’s looking incredible

Over a year of TT:120 has prepared me for delicate and teething troubles 🤣 Locomotion 1 certainly looks very delicate but it’s mesmerising and has a special place for me, every time I saw it, I knew I was on an adventure 😁

Locomotion No.1 today is as R346¹ Rocket was to Hornby in 1963. An impossible delight that captures the imagination. Yet I am so completely struggling with it.

First the cons.

1) Just like many other locomotives which capture my eye, this isn't the LMR. Whilst many here do have a more ad hoc approach, I am single minded about my railway of choice. Locomotion No.1 is Stockton and Darlington Railway, not LMR.

2) When ever a bit of novel technology is first made available, there will be novel failures. This valve gear, as Gilbo points out, is certainly in that category. It is never a great idea to be in the first experimental user group.

3) Locomotion No.1 is portrayed as Era 11, preserved. There are anachronistic features that would not have been present in 1825.

Pros

A) The LMR was chartered as a public thoroughfare. Colliery owned chaldrons and locomotives traveled over the rails. The collieries paid a fee for transit over the rails, but maintained their own equipment. The LMR never did own chaldrons.

2) While mechanical drawings of LMR owned coal wagons do exist, they were not as R60164. I already have the Accurascale chaldrons. Locomotion No.1 was a colliery locomotive. The combination of chaldrons and Locomotion No.1 is the fundamental S&DR portrayal, a colliery train.

3) If I am to have a colliery train, therefore, Locomotion No.1 is a natural fit, albeit incorrect. Wrong railway, wrong era.

Better to wait for S&DR Era 1 release? Shake out the novel failures, get the 1825 version of Locomotion No.1. Maybe Hornby will also release the S&DR carriage 'Experiment'.

Bee

¹ Did Hornby deliberately select R30346 as a nod to the past?

…3) Locomotion No.1 is portrayed as Era 11, preserved. There are anachronistic features that would not have been present in 1825…

None more so than the name - I doubt Hornby would sell as many models of ‘Active’ (without a detailed explanation of its later more famous alter ego).

Despite my love of era 1 models, I firmly believe they have made the right call with this model.

I’m also delighted that they have given themselves an entire year’s grace to get the model onto customer layouts in time for the anniversary. 🤞

After sitting on the fence all day, I finally surrendered. Locomotion No.1 is on order.

Hornby also listened to the request of many. Hornby now have single offerings for carriages like Royal Mail (R40436) and the Booth Carriage (R40438).

Walker shows us multiples of the Booth carriage, in a consist in the Olive Mount Cutting, and so I have ordered a few of those as well.

Bee

Fear not OP, there are still a lot of models from the last 3 or 4 announcements that have yet to see the light of day, plus there will be more news over the year. Nothing has tempted me so far, but I have 3 sound fitted locomotives on order, and I think 1 or 2 of them may land at some point this year, so I think I will get by without ordering more. Just need to avoid exhibitions and toy fairs really.