What’s holding you back?

Rallymatt

Holding me back from finally building that 'Minories' project in TT -

One FX4 front wheel suspension replacement.

One badly timed injection pump on another, have to get rid of that smoke!

One broken sliding window spring on the last one.

A 9 1/2" gauge permanent way that needs to be cleared of debris for springtime operations

:-))

The A1 keeps derailing all the time !

Have you tried contacting Hornby customer service? I’ve always found them to give excellent after sales support. They might be able to help solve your problem.

Gregory, the derailing issue is 100% fixable. You can contact Hornby Customer Service directly (irrespective of who supplied the model) and they can make adjustments to get things running smoothly.

or

Look through the sticky at top here to find a hints and tips list collated by Peachy that covers all the tweaks you can do at home yourself. You won’t need any exotic tools, all pretty straightforward.

Either option is perfectly fine and your choice however if I was to give a little advice, this is a home fettling project worth trying and gaining some experience with. Model railways are miniature mechanical engineering marvels but will need servicing and adjusting over time. If you develop further into the hobby you will find things that require these skills and you will just get better and better and more confident. This is an easy and rewarding one to start with.

Having bought a Scale Model Scenery modular baseboard in a box (1100mm x 220mm) last year, I got it out of the cupboard yesterday and played around with some track options. Even for a small shunting/depot layout it’s very tight (5 tracks can just about be crammed in, but with sidings/headshunt little more than a double straight in length) so at least one more module (550mm x 220mm) is likely needed to allow any layout to breathe. Doubling in length to 2200mm x 220mm is possible without too much overhang on the table.

My other alternative is something to allow either a U-shaped track layout or a full oval (or a hybrid), but storage of the baseboard would be tricky. While end to end layouts interest me most, letting a model train stretch its wheels for a bit is strangely satisfying.

Having set up the shunting track layout, it would have been rude not to shunt a few coaches around with my 08 to research interest levels. Wagons would have been better and a small wagon repair works with a small locomotive stabling point remains an option for a small urban-set layout. In which case, setting up an oval on the kitchen table for operating “proper trains” would be an occasional thing.

PS Hild the cat was watching warily almost throughout the operating session and did get closer to investigate at one point. My 08 would not have lasted long against a paw swipe!