Class 50 locomotives

Mulsanne88

34 minutes ago, GMD said:

Just out of interest - has anyone had any retailer orders arrive yet, Rails, TMC, Key, etc.?

not yet, not even a notification.  I did contact Rails via the web chat before the bank Holiday and they said:   Rails of Sheffield will receive their stock allocation from Hornby within a week to 10 days.

So if Hornby have been sending out to the retailers at the same pace as to the direct sale customers, then i would expect to hear something around the 11th /12th of June about a delivery (hopefully Leviathan and 5 MkII coaches).

Received both Class 50s and my Mk2F coaches via DPD this morning.  Impressed that a) separate orders were combined into 1 package b) the weight of the 50s c) the magnetic couplings of the Mk2F.

• Like 1

3 hours ago, Stephen-1260829 said:

not yet, not even a notification.  I did contact Rails via the web chat before the bank Holiday and they said:   Rails of Sheffield will receive their stock allocation from Hornby within a week to 10 days.

So if Hornby have been sending out to the retailers at the same pace as to the direct sale customers, then i would expect to hear something around the 11th /12th of June about a delivery (hopefully Leviathan and 5 MkII coaches).

My buildings from TMC took a month longer than the website launch. Hopefully locos and rolling stock will be quicker 

• Like 1

After my 50’s and mk2f’s arriving Saturday, I finally got to run them today as was doing some major track work over the weekend adding an incline.

Hats of to Hornby, I thought the HST’s were superb but these are Stunning. All run in no problems - smooth running and  handles all points, board joints, R4, R3, and R2 no issues and all takes the new incline with ease.  Mk2f’s also very nice and no issues with standard couplings yet. One thing I did note on the F’s, is the optional mag couplers are not compatible with WHWW elite couplers, polarity must be different, but I am one happy bunny nonetheless.

IMG_2456.jpeg

IMG_2455.jpeg

• Like 12

The Hornby magnetic couplings are polarity dependent just like the WHWW ones are, just try the opposite one. They are moulded plastic and fit NEM pockets perfectly so I can see them selling well when they become available. That’s an impressive line up of diesel traction 😁

So I got my 50 today - didn’t get a chance to run it in until this evening and it derailed on a (dodgy) point and then seemed to have lost some power - could hear the motor running but was clearly struggling to move.

IMG_0958.thumb.jpeg.091aff86c8e1ac66895cf3db21ecdfd0.jpegIMG_0961.thumb.jpeg.71bdd6b405d019dc75e334913306d9fa.jpegIMG_0962.thumb.jpeg.98cf6ee325f1bd6190db9d4fcf059840.jpeg

I’m not going to say it’s badly designed - as that would clearly be a lie. But it’s not user friendly to gain access if this is a common occurrence. In particular, gaining full access to the motor would require desoldering the wires to the PCB although I managed to put back the shaft without doing so, but only just.

2 things to be careful with; there are clear washer for the screws holding the PCB in place - easy to lose these.

IMG_0964.jpeg.2cdb6bc02782e84d249b6e33c33498ec.jpeg

Also be careful handling the under frame detail as this grate piece was loose on one side for mine. I’ve touched it up with some superglue.

IMG_0965.jpeg.897dc3e9aa9fed10c8ef8f0dbdb919f8.jpeg

I also think I damaged a piece of the cab detail when unscrewing those end pieces (needed to allow the wiring for the lights to be free enough to manoeuvre the PCB).

IMG_0966.jpeg.80e3827c04ec021e8077642ea69dbe81.jpeg

I probably won’t bother trying to find out where it belongs.

But at least it’s running fine again.

IMG_0967.jpeg.a705c5ca2f221409b8876e7840f1c4bd.jpeg

• Like 2

Just now, GMD said:

Very useful info @moawkwrd, as wella s good clear photos, and great that you got it sorted. By the way, do you think there is space for a Powerbank behind the cab detail?

I don’t think so - it’s mere millimetres once the plastic detail piece is in place against the chassis (the black piece in my third pic).

• Thanks 1

Posted (edited)

I don't know why people want tyres on these models as I have just tried out a long train of 24 coaches which the 50 pulled with ease. I could have put more on but was worried about the weight on the corners pulling them off.  My controller (Gaugemaster) is marked to 100 but at 30 it ran as if there was nothing behind her.

We all have our own preferences but so far none of the Hornby models have proved to me they need tyres although I guess some people will still want them fitted as such.

Edited by Silver Fox 17
  • Like 3

It’s a very common idea to require de-soldering of some wires to allow removal of the pcb. Many manufacturers do this, Piko, Roco etc. in comparison that little bit of wire is very generous! There is some logic here, if you are heading inside the chances are you are quite confident and so de-soldering and re-soldering wires on pads is pretty straightforward and probably a lot more robust than a series of tiny connectors. 
On the subject of power banks, remember there is a 40% smaller one coming from Hornby. 

13 minutes ago, Rallymatt said:

On the subject of power banks, remember there is a 40% smaller one coming from Hornby. 

Obviously I have no idea of size as I don't use them but having taken a 50 apart for conversion I can only think inside a cab is the only place one may fit.

The cab interior and bulkhead go right up to the chassis casting.  Even the cab does not have much space in it and I had to cut all the wires to remove it.

IMG_20240528_221609.jpg

IMG_20240528_221545.jpg

IMG_20240528_221634.jpg

• Sad 1

Nice work Garry, those photos will be making a few sweat! TBH power banks really shouldn’t be needed in a loco that long with 12 wheels collecting current and some hefty weight to it. Hornby have obviously gone all out on weight. What are you squeezing the 50 chassis into? Or do we have to wait and see? 😁

• Like 2

Nice one Garry! I thought that’s where you were going with it! With the shaping on the diecast chassis. I can see a Hornby one coming, hope it’s a lot sooner than they managed in OO! (We will gloss over the comically short HD one) 

Posted (edited)
25 minutes ago, Rallymatt said:

Nice one Garry! I thought that’s where you were going with it! With the shaping on the diecast chassis. I can see a Hornby one coming, hope it’s a lot sooner than they managed in OO! (We will gloss over the comically short HD one) 

They will have to modify the chassis as the bulkhead needs to go back about 20/30mm and the bogies about 2 or 3mm further out as it does show under the front end so might put a false frame or something in. My model only arrived at 6.00 last night so only managed to get the body on after tea and filming the two 50's before modifying one. 

However, the 37 has a bonnet like the Deltic and the same bogies so when that chassis is done who knows?  It could be one of the "quiet unknown" ones.

That Dublo model was a joke considering the length of the City/Duchess loco. Their Deltic could have been a lot closer to correct length to still go around their curves, people had the Lima model working okay on them.

Edited by Silver Fox 17

Just a thought and I may be overthinking things but now we know some models of class 50 are having drive shaft issues. However, my years of experience in Quality Assurance has had me thinking about the ongoing QA issues.

Assuming that it is an assemby issue, is there any feel for if:

1. they are the non DCC fitted versions?

2. they are the DCC fitted versions?

3. they are from both versions?

Could be helpful to Hornby to identify if there was a pattern to the issues arising.

Any thoughts?

1 hour ago, Rallymatt said:

Nice work Garry, those photos will be making a few sweat! TBH power banks really shouldn’t be needed in a loco that long with 12 wheels collecting current and some hefty weight to it. Hornby have obviously gone all out on weight. What are you squeezing the 50 chassis into? Or do we have to wait and see? 😁

Sweat, sweat!! I went into a blind panic!! 🙂  I watch Garry's YouTube channel all the time and am amazed at the number of loco conversions being produced. 'Chapeau' (hats off to you - if you are not familiar to the term chapeau) to you Garry.

• Like 3
  • Thanks 1

Posted (edited)
29 minutes ago, Stephen-1260829 said:

I watch Garry's YouTube channel all the time and am amazed at the number of loco conversions being produced.

I thought I had run out of locos to use the A1 chassis on but another has cropped up and the bodywork being drawn up by Lincoln-Locos. Wait to see what I have planned for the Duchess lol.

Edited by Silver Fox 17
  • Like 1

6 hours ago, Silver Fox 17 said:

They will have to modify the chassis as the bulkhead needs to go back about 20/30mm and the bogies about 2 or 3mm further out as it does show under the front end so might put a false frame or something in. My model only arrived at 6.00 last night so only managed to get the body on after tea and filming the two 50's before modifying one. 

However, the 37 has a bonnet like the Deltic and the same bogies so when that chassis is done who knows?  It could be one of the "quiet unknown" ones.

That Dublo model was a joke considering the length of the City/Duchess loco. Their Deltic could have been a lot closer to correct length to still go around their curves, people had the Lima model working okay on them.

Was the Lima model full length, though — I believe it used some of the parts for a previously planned HO version.

1 minute ago, D9020 Nimbus said:

Was the Lima model full length, though — I believe it used some of the parts for a previously planned HO version.

The Lima model is more less to scale, the main issue was the bogies were H0 scale, which some modelers improved by swapping with bogies from the class 37.

• Like 1

6 hours ago, Stephen-1260829 said:

Just a thought and I may be overthinking things but now we know some models of class 50 are having drive shaft issues. However, my years of experience in Quality Assurance has had me thinking about the ongoing QA issues.

Assuming that it is an assemby issue, is there any feel for if:

1. they are the non DCC fitted versions?

2. they are the DCC fitted versions?

3. they are from both versions?

Could be helpful to Hornby to identify if there was a pattern to the issues arising.

Any thoughts?

My reading from those who have had the problem, HST or 50, is that once refitted it doesn’t drop out again (let us know if you’ve had the problem more than once?). Consequently it would seem to be an assembly problem and unlikely to depend on DCC fitted or not.

Then maybe I have it completely wrong.