Class 50 locomotives

Mulsanne88

Just now, Fishmanoz said:

Consequently it would seem to be an assembly problem and unlikely to depend on DCC fitted or not.

Quite true Fishy - however the issue may still be pertinent - in that if we knew it was happening only to DCC ready models (for example), then it might be easier for Hornby to pinpoint any quality control issues. It wouldn't solve it but it may halve the size of the haystack as they hunt the proverbial needle!

Very possibly GMD but remember they are already hunting across 2 loco types.

Would be interesting to know how many they are getting back.  On the forum, some are fixing, some returning.  Gen-pop might be a higher return proportion (purely my speculation). 

I wonder if the factory have detailed assembly records to identify models made on certain stations. Some manufacturers do have unique ID and track these things to ensure everyone is getting things right. 

• Like 1

There's a saying that if you have something faulty or not perfect then it is usually a Friday afternoon or Monday morning job,  not sure if that applies to the production of model railway equipment, but with the various faults/issues reported not all models are affected.

Cardan shafts in all applications from huge engineering projects to tiny model railway locos always have the opportunity to misbehave if not done right. But the basic engineering is sound and when right, they perfectly and give reliable service. I am a fan 👍

Posted (edited)

Received my Class 50 today. Not run yet, but I thought some of you may find it interesting seeing some side-by-side pictures with the Dapol N gauge version.

Weight 106g v 196g

PXL_20240529_184321834~2.jpg

PXL_20240529_184145245~2.jpg

PXL_20240529_184128094.jpg

PXL_20240529_184529017.jpg

PXL_20240529_184603253.jpg

PXL_20240529_184202357.jpg

Edited by Andrew-1274087
  • Like 7
  • Thanks 1

Edward arrived today. I was amazed by the accessory pack. Has anyone fitted the etched name and number plates? My fear is these are so small so great care must be taken with any glue fixing. Any smear would be disastrous. Perhaps double sided tape but would this stick permanently?

• Like 1

Nice comparison. A trick often used in models is to over emphasise some detail, if it wasn’t done detail would be  lost. The smaller the scale the harder it gets to develop that detail but still keep it in proportion. A few differences but both lovely 

Think the tt version looks great and cant wait to receive mine, but the side by side shows a thing that I notice often on hornby diesels, the exhaust openings are shallow and roof colour. but the n gauge model has a better representation. 

Posted (edited)
49 minutes ago, Stephen-1260829 said:

I have seen the email from Rails, now just need to see the shipped product notification.

Same here, email showing new arrivals but sadly quiet on shipping news. Fingers crossed for news tomorrow. Can't remember the last time I was this excited for a new loco and stock.

Edited by Rustyjt
  • Like 3

Hmm, this is annoying now.

Think the shaft has popped out again on my Class 50. Will need to take it apart again later. 

It derailed on a point and then motor noise but struggling to go, same as before.

Think this is the first case of it happening more than once? Although it may well be the shaft for the other bogie, rather than the same one.

• Sad 1

Posted (edited)
17 minutes ago, moawkwrd said:

Hmm, this is annoying now.

Think the shaft has popped out again on my Class 50. Will need to take it apart again later. 

It derailed on a point and then motor noise but struggling to go, same as before.

Think this is the first case of it happening more than once? Although it may well be the shaft for the other bogie, rather than the same one.

if you don't send it back, please email them so they know its happening.

Edited by Tim Allen
  • Like 2

Has anyone that ordered direct on Thursday  last week received their class 50? I didn’t pre order, but they had stock when order placed.  But they still show as processing. 

Posted (edited)

@moawkwrd I’m not sure how possible this is, can you disassemble the loco far enough to place the cardan shaft in place without putting any strain on the shaft? The other thought is checking that the motor or bogie assemblies are not loose. If they can ‘shunt’ fore and aft that could be what is allowing the end of the shaft to pop out. 
This might be case of a return so Hornby can get to grips with it. 

Edited by Rallymatt

55 minutes ago, DJBDoug said:

Has anyone that ordered direct on Thursday  last week received their class 50? I didn’t pre order, but they had stock when order placed.  But they still show as processing. 

I ordered mine on Thursday, not long after they appeared on the website. It arrived on Saturday. I did choose express delivery though.

Posted (edited)
On 26/05/2024 at 21:14, Andrew-372848 said:

I’ll need to make a closer inspection (video perhaps) to see exactly where this is happening. Poor lighting and incorrect specs didn’t help. 🙂

Well I couldn't do any further adjustment with the surface mounted motor. It's metal cased and I had already tweaked its position as my Falcon was clipping it too. Decided to replace it with an under-board SEEP motor and all is now well. I should have used these from the start, but when I decided to motorise the points they were already laid and installing the motor with the point in position is not the easiest of tasks.

Edited by Andrew-372848
Grammar.

Posted (edited)
2 hours ago, Rallymatt said:

@moawkwrd I’m not sure how possible this is, can you disassemble the loco far enough to place the cardan shaft in place without putting any strain on the shaft? The other thought is checking that the motor or bogie assemblies are not loose. If they can ‘shunt’ fore and aft that could be what is allowing the end of the shaft to pop out. 
This might be case of a return so Hornby can get to grips with it. 

Not sure, will have a look at it this evening once I finish work. I’ll take some clearer photos to email to Hornby before I attempt to fix it. I had to rotate the bogie to get it back in the other day and then turned it straight on to push it home and check it wasn’t still loose.

It struck me the other day that the shaft itself is awfully thin and lightweight compared to even Graham Farish N mechanisms. It looked like it would snap pretty easily. The Tillig ones are much more heavy duty.

I have a feeling this is the other shaft though rather than the same one. Serves me right for not checking it when I had it open.

Edited by moawkwrd

3 hours ago, DJBDoug said:

Yes - ordered my Lev and Edward plus m2f’s on Thursday around 13:30. Standard delivery and arrived Saturday 

1 hour ago, moawkwrd said:

Not sure, will have a look at it this evening once I finish work. I’ll take some clearer photos to email to Hornby before I attempt to fix it. I had to rotate the bogie to get it back in the other day and then turned it straight on to push it home and check it wasn’t still loose.

It struck me the other day that the shaft itself is awfully thin and lightweight compared to even Graham Farish N mechanisms. It looked like it would snap pretty easily. The Tillig ones are much more heavy duty.

I have a feeling this is the other shaft though rather than the same one. Serves me right for not checking it when I had it open.

Will be interested in your findings. Assuming they are the same shafts as in the HST’s there some flex in them. They appear to be made of a hard plastic/nylon material. As was the case on mine I had to have the bogie fully turned as well as flexing the shaft to get it back in the cup.