Prince of Wales DCC without using Hornby app?

Graham1

Hi and I hope someone can help.  I have just ordered the steam version of the Prince of Wales, I am only going to be using my Roco Z21 controller in DCC mode. The question is, will this loco operate on this controller straight out of the box or do I have to first use the HM7000 app to set it up and switch it over to DCC before using my Z21.  Thanks for any help.

Graham.

Posted (edited)

If it is brand new, Hornby brand and DCC fitted then it will most likely be fitted with an HM7000 decoder. They are configured for normal DCC operation out of the box. So yes, you should be able to use it with your existing DCC controller, but sound files can only be installed via the App, though it does come with a default steam sound, (which may well be out of date). In a nut shell, if you need to change the sound file you will have to do it via the App then switch back to DCC operation.

Edited by Brew Man

The steam generator version comes with the correct HM7K decoder profile and should work out of the box as advertised earlier. If it is in bluetooth mode thus preventing any response on defult address 3 then check CV 12 is to DCC value - see the famous manual. But the app is free and offers a numpty proof way of sorting out CVs by simple button clicks on the main track, so no skin off your nose to use it from your phone or tablet.

• Like 1