Humbrol dropper bottles

Is it because I'm old and have lost my grip or does anybody else have problems getting paint out of a dropper bottle?

I have had to resort to using a pair of water pump pliers to squeeze the bottle as I cannot squeeze it by hand. 

While mostly successful this method can lead to the ketchup bottle syndrome- you bang and bounce and squeeze the bottle, first none will come and then a lottle.

Why are these bottles made so thick?

I always like to add a ball bearing to dropper bottles to aid stirring.I never have any problems getting the top off a Vallejo bottle but really struggle getting the Humbrol top off

I have a couple of Humbrol dropper bottles and I have found that the plastic used is not as flexible as the Vallejo ones.  I always keep a couple of bits of stiff wire to clear any blockages in the nozzle. 

I think the Humbrol stuff is a lot thicker (paint and bottle) then the better quality Vallejo.

I've no issues with squeezing the Humbrol one, maybe your paint is drying up inside?

I have the same problem. Some seem to have a squeezable sweet spot where the plastic is thinner, but those aside they are tough to squeeze. I may start decanting them into empty Vallejo bottles. 

• 2 months later...

Was in Hobbycraft yesterday and noticed that the Humbrol acrylics bottle has changed again. It now looks more like a Vallejo one then it did. I opened one, squeezed it, and noted that the paint seemed thinner then it used to.

Has anyone tried airbrushing this new paint, can you now use it straight out of the bottle in an airbrush like a Vallejo Model Air paint or does it still need thinning?

4 hours ago, Captain.Glumbo said:

On the bottles it says "Gen 2" on them which is a new formula.  Not all colours are gen 2 yet

I thought they seemed quite different to what was on the shelf even a few months back. Will buy one today and test it along side my trusty Vallejo paints for comparison.

• Like 1

I’m also a Vallejo fan through and through with possibly close to 100 bottles of various colours, brush, air, metallic, varnishes and washes, all in those trusty dropper bottles.

IMG_3791.thumb.jpeg.05689ea53d5257dab3fc3f7f34a5b2a0.jpeg

Then earlier this week I needed not only, unbelievably, a few more colours but also to increase the cost of my basket by a couple of pounds to reach the free P&P clip point, so you guessed it, I took the plunge and added a couple of Humbrol droppers. I’ve never tried these before so it’s going to be a very interesting experiment, particularly if they need thinning to spray - e.g. will my Vallejo thinner work as well or shall I just add water. I note these bottles have the Gen2 label so fingers crossed 😊

On 03/05/2024 at 17:51, oldmodeller said:

Why are these bottles made so thick?

Good question. I personally have yet to have this problem. Yes the end can frustratingly get clogged from time to time and the cocktail stick has to be reached for but the airbrush ready paints, for sure, seem to flow with the lightest of squeezes.

I have, come to think of it, had a more challenging time with the thicker brush paints, so I wonder if you’ve a batch of less fluid Humbrol paints there? I know Humbrol had a real issue with the little tubs drying up. I’ve just recently- per my above post- purchased a set of Humbrol droppers so it’s going to be interesting to see how they perform. 

Perhaps it won’t be long before paint suppliers follow the way of mineral water bottle makers, although I think some of these have gone a little too far as they can crush far too easily leaving one a little damp! 😂

5 hours ago, Tour de Airfix said:

I’ve never tried these before so it’s going to be a very interesting experiment, particularly if they need thinning to spray

I haven't needed to thin yet. I treat then exactly the same as VMA.

As pointed out by others, the new 2.0 bottles are quite hard to squeeze and its not easy to get droplets for airbrushes unlike Vallejo. I tried spraying straight from the bottle and found it ok-ish.

I then used my Vallejo thinner with the same drop ratio as I do with my Vallejo paints and found that improved it. I still prefer Vallejo but there are colours that are recommended that are not available in Vallejo Air so in the case of these I will use Humbrol (although some colours are not in either range eg 76 Matt Uniform Green.

Making the bottles are as good from Hornby as they are from Vallejo should be their main goal now.  

Edited by Marto
  • Like 1

I have to say I detest the Humbrol dropper bottles! Bad design, too thick and just not as good as the old screwtop tubs.

The main problem I have though is that it's nearly impossible to mix the paint properly. Humbrol acrylic has always been (in my opinion) far far too thick and has always needed a decent dose of thinner and a good stir to get them to flow nicely, even for brush painting - which is next to impossible in these dropper bottles, without ripping the top out with a pair of pliers and stirring it, getting paint everywhere in the process. Even my vibro shaker doesn't seem to work that well with them. 

I have to say I'm seriously considering sourcing some small pots and decanting the paint into them.

When it's thinned properly, I do think the new gen 2 paint is nice to paint with, and although it won't replace my Hataka and Citadel paints, I would be tempted to use it more - if it wasn't for those bottles! 

• Like 2

20 hours ago, Marto said:

I then used my Vallejo thinner with the same drop ratio as I do with my Vallejo paints

This is good to know. I’ve just started to try a set of these droppers and agree, they sort of spray but really do need thinner. 

Jonathan

• Like 1

On 08/08/2024 at 11:03, Marto said:

I then used my Vallejo thinner with the same drop ratio as I do with my Vallejo paints

I tried Vallejo thinners but really struggled to spray well. I will give Humbrol thinners a go though to see if that makes a difference

20 hours ago, Valhalla said:

I tried Vallejo thinners but really struggled to spray well. I will give Humbrol thinners a go though to see if that makes a difference

In the days of plastic tins (??? 🙃), I managed to bring some Humbrol Dark Sea Grey back from the grave with a significant amount of water. Works fine now. 

• Like 2