Fairey Rotodyne

Ratch

I shall build this Vintage Classic
53454376929_c4c9632f3f_c.jpg
When I received this kit my bench was overloaded, and I didn't write a build review. My fellow A&NVMSIGers also expressed an interest in displaying the kit, so it has been near the top of my TO DO pile for some time, and this gives me an opportunity to cover a few bases. The runners were washed.

I painted the undercarriage struts and then primed the fuselage with white. 
53680611653_87e8351695_z.jpg
I assembled and painted the cockpit. When the figures were fixed, I used a pin vice to drill holes for the control levers. 
53679525437_f787cd8a64_z.jpg
I decided to put a droop on the rotor blades. I have not done this before and started by taping the four blades together and holding the outer ends with a bulldog clip. I then poured boiling water over them and bent them by hand. This worked well (in my view) and have been set aside, ready to spray.
53680611648_31f30d7624_z.jpg
I must check that they clear the fins.
53680751909_6c20fa7b55_z.jpg
Instrument surfaces were glossed with Humbrol Clear before the decals were applied.
53680751924_3d7412a09c_z.jpg
The rotor head was badly misfitting in my kit. 
53680612918_3b86fa5f57_z.jpg
There was significant flash to remove, and the halves did not marry true, despite the alignment pins moulded in. Much fettling was necessary. Looking at the ‘working’ rear doors, the pins that form the hinges are non-existent. 
53680846485_29e1ffdedf_z.jpg
They look as though they were cut off. I may pose the doors open as I intend to model this aircraft grounded. I searched for images of the interior and found some with a Land Rover being loaded. There are no interior fittings other than fuselage frames with lightening holes in them. The flooring is plain, and I guess that ramps were used to run the Landy up into the cargo bay. I may try to drill holes where the pins should be and glue plastic rod projecting from there to re-establish the pins. If this doesn’t work, I will have to fix the doors open. When the build is finished, I may add ramps too.

I cemented the cockpit into the starboard fuselage and decided to airbrush the white upper portion of the exterior before fitting the windows and negate the need for careful masking of them. I realised that if I fit the cargo doors at this point, I can mask once matching the demarcation line. I appreciate that I will need to mask again for the silver under surfaces, but this should give me a guide to go by.
53687267771_d55c732afe_z.jpg
53687267761_f885d67c8e_z.jpg

I loaded my airbrush with Vallejo Model Color 70842 3 Glossy White and added some Vallejo 71161 Airbrush Thinner to get a nice, milky consistency, and open sprayed the appropriate areas.
 53692082168_ba261ced2a_z.jpg
I fixed the portholes with G-S Hypo Cement, then inserted the rotor hub and closed the fuselage. 
53692221484_0704f4ba01_z.jpg
The rotor and the undercarriage were designed as working features – proof that these were toys we built to play with in the 50/60s, rather than scale models. Steven Pietrobon says to add 15g nose weight, so I selected a tyre weight and painted it. In the depths of the cargo bay, behind the cockpit wall, it will look like something covered with a tarpaulin (I hope). 
My hand cut masking.
53691869406_24dab50197_z.jpg

I masked up and sprayed silver on the underside of the fuselage and the wing sub-assemblies, plus appropriate parts awaiting assembly. I think that Vallejo Model Color 70899 50 Dark Prussia Blue is a good match for the decals and brushed the canopy frame with it.
53703277539_f0a3539c98_z.jpg

With the door open, decal #1 needs to be cut. It would be better if this decal was already split. I try to measure and cut precisely to match decal positions. I anticipate some touching up will be needed and hope it will blend seamlessly with the decals. 

53715990789_e0ee1d11ed_z.jpg

One side is done.

53716084970_febb62b602_z.jpg

No they're not flush. The mould is over 60 years old after all.

Wing assemblies complete.
53729307293_2e68dcbd41_z.jpg
A few paint re-touches required before I can fit them.

Posted (edited)

@Dominic Thomas Caution (or needing to build confidence) seems perfectly natural - a possible way to overcome this might be to take a variety of photos as a build progresses & then only post the stages if ultimately successful.

That way you can enjoy the satisfaction of demonstrating achievements - whilst nobody is wiser of any learning experiences! 😉

Edited by LTSR_NSE
  • Like 1

9 hours ago, Dominic Thomas said:

This type of post is fascinating to follow. I would never have the nerve to do one - I don’t think I could live with a failure that ended in the bin, and everyone knew !!

I'm just an ordinary modeller like most of us here. I don't mind making mistakes, it helps me learn, and if others learn by my mistakes all the better. 

On 18/05/2024 at 14:50, Dominic Thomas said:

This type of post is fascinating to follow. I would never have the nerve to do one - I don’t think I could live with a failure that ended in the bin, and everyone knew !!

Most of my builds end up in the bin sooner or not very much later anyway, successful or otherwise, so this issue doesn't trouble me. I look at them for a few months, then they get damaged during dusting, at which point it's out with the old. A build that hangs around for a year is unusual. As long as it was either better than when I last built it or better than the previous build, I am happy.

I also think that only figures, tall ships and vintage cars are acceptable household ornaments. I do have a man cave in the garden now, and it has a pitched roof  so I'm giving serious thought to mounting completed aircraft flat to walks and ceiling. 

This won't work with a Rotodyne so if ever I build mine its likely fate is already clear...

• Like 2

19 hours ago, Dominic Thomas said:

Endless scope for ‘what ifs’. 
My question : where would the radar go for a Royal Navy AEW version?

The Gannet's radome was beneath the fuselage, so presumably there.