What’s Next?

On 07/06/2024 at 09:46, Postman On The Rails said:

The BP/Shell Tanker is showing as out of stock assume it has reached in pre-orders the amount they are producing 

I only have 5 TOTAL tanker wagons and was hoping to add another 3 at some time.  I will have to see if they make a re-appearance at any time, or come up as second hand for sale in the future.  I can see why some people by 5 or 10 at a time now but not something that I can do.

Again - returning anew to the hobby.  I was not really aware of 'short run' productions.

Also:  probably derived from an OCD thought - I have been thinking that the tanker trains would pretty much all be made up of the same liveried stock i.e all BP, all Esso, all TOTAL, etc.  Would trains be a mix of branded tankers??

• Like 1

1 minute ago, Stephen-1260829 said:

I only have 5 TOTAL tanker wagons and was hoping to add another 3 at some time.  I will have to see if they make a re-appearance at any time, or come up as second hand for sale in the future.  I can see why some people by 5 or 10 at a time now but not something that I can do.

Again - returning anew to the hobby.  I was not really aware of 'short run' productions.

Also:  probably derived from an OCD thought - I have been thinking that the tanker trains would pretty much all be made up of the same liveried stock i.e all BP, all Esso, all TOTAL, etc.  Would trains be a mix of branded tankers??

Most  tanker  trains  would  have  been in  what  is  called  'block' trains,  so   would  have  the  same  name  on the  wagons,  but  with  different  numbers.   

If  you  only  have  a  few  mixed  wagons  then  you  could  use  them  on  a  trip  working   to/from   works.   But at  the  end  of  the  day its  what  you   are  happy  with. 😃

• Like 1

6 minutes ago, Stephen-1260829 said:

Ex refiner here, trains would have been chartered by, or belong to, the oil company and in a single branded livery. 

37 minutes ago, Irishmail said:

Most  tanker  trains  would  have  been in  what  is  called  'block' trains,  so   would  have  the  same  name  on the  wagons,  but  with  different  numbers.   

If  you  only  have  a  few  mixed  wagons  then  you  could  use  them  on  a  trip  working   to/from   works.   But at  the  end  of  the  day its  what  you   are  happy  with. 😃

I have gone for the TOTAL livery tankers, so with your advice, and  @Paul M I will know to keep an eye out for the same livery when they become available.

I will need to find a TOTAL logo for the refinery oil tanks that I am making for the layout

• Like 1

Posted (edited)

An interesting bit of history with tankers and rail transport oil. ESSO (Eastern Section Standard Oil) were one of the first companies in 1800’s to start shipping oil. Initially the used wooden barrels from the brewing industry and bought up vast stocks of 55gallon barrels, many from Germany and cornered the market. Hence the reason why oil is traded in barrels. ESSO became the primary company shipping in oil in US and UK (and other markets) and owned much of the infrastructure and until long distance pipelines in UK, rail was the most commonly used system. ESSO frequently shipped oil and petroleum products for many other brands but gradually their monopoly was broken up. For many years you would see ESSO rail tankers but very few ESSO petrol stations. Amazing what can be learned via this hobby 🤓

Edited by Rallymatt
Spilling
  • Like 2

2 hours ago, Stephen-1260829 said:

I have gone for the TOTAL livery tankers, so with your advice, and  @Paul M I will know to keep an eye out for the same livery when they become available.

I will need to find a TOTAL logo for the refinery oil tanks that I am making for the layout

Logos go in eras too. Ebay has them, but the eras before and after the design in the tank cars.

Peco do the vanfits in both plywood sided and plank sided forms as well as the 16 ton minerals in N gauge. I'm not aware of their launching a VEA in recent times — there is an (old) model decorated as such but it is actually a GWR van, just like the one Hornby do in TT as an "LNER" one.

Sonic Models have done a batch of VEAs in N gauge, are doing another together with the related Vanwides.

While Peco have introduced several new wagons in N recently, some of their other models date from the 1960s — the oldest tooling still in use, apart from the bodies of some Dapol OO wagons which have origins in the old Hornby Dublo SD6 range.

• Like 1

I’m definitely expecting this to be a OO announcement. While I would love to see TT addressed, it’s only been ~2 months since the April event. Hornby has a solid lineup of new locomotives and rolling stock for TT going into the new year. Announcing more right now seems premature. 

The earliest I’d expect to see a TT announcement is September/October. Those models announced in a September/October event would arrive in March/April of 2025. 

We’ve got an action packed set of products for the rest of 2024…

1) 3x J50s

2) 10x Class 66s

3) 3x IFAs

4) 2x Pullmans 

5) 2x 12 Tons

6) 2x Sets

7) 5x LMS coaches

8 ) 5x Duchesses 

9) 6x HAAs 

10) 1x 08

We’re in good shape! Of course, we are starting to reach a point where multiple products have sold out. Examples include…

1) BR Blue 08

2) TTAs

3) BP 12 Ton (on preorder!) 

4) J50 BR late crest (on preorder!) 

5) BR Vent Vans

6) LNER Brake Van

Expect future runs of each of these product lines. They will likely have new running numbers and where appropriate new liveries. I wouldn’t be surprised to see new TTA liveries sometime in the new year. They’re great wagons that sold out rapidly. 

But for now, I think it’s OO’s turn for new announcements! 

Just now, Les-345151 said:

I think the OO LNER Coronation coaches are about due- I'm expecting Hornby to announce they are doing them in TT120 with an upgraded A4 😀.

No!! I can't afford any more for a while.  class 50 and 5 x coaches being delivered today.  I can do without the temptation.

• Like 1
  • Haha 3

I’m fairly sure it’s the OO Coronation coaches and other OO releases. I think realistically we are a couple of months off getting the next instalment  on what’s next in the TT:120 plan 

• Like 1

Hornby does have a few things on the OO menu that are due. The Flirt was pencilled in for April. That has come and gone without update.

But I honestly wouldn’t be surprised if Hornby has another secret OO tooling project set for 2024. I may be missing something, but right now their new OO locomotives for 2024 are… 

1) Flirt 

2) B17/6

3) Locomotion 

4) Black 5 

5) Dublo Deltic Prototype 

The 2MT was released in December, so you could sort of count it in 2024. Shockingly, the TT range stacks up really nicely compared to the OO projects:

1) Class 43

2) Class 50

3) Duchesses 

4) Class 66 

5) J50

I think the OO range could use a little more. With Hornby shifting to more regular releases and keeping surprises closer to their chest, this is the time for one of those surprises. We’re around 6 months from the 2024 range launch. 

• Like 1

I personally don't count DC and DCC as separate loco's ie 10 x Class 66 as there are only 5 different liveries and people usually will buy one or the other (DC or DCC). I know they can be bought as separate items / part numbers but to me they are the same thing with a small circuit board difference plus one can easily be made into the other. 

I hope OO does get an injection of new items even though I'm exclusive TT:120 because for an established scale the line up is  looking a bit anaemic at the moment.  It would be nice if both OO & TT got something though.

Edited by Tim Allen
  • Like 3

The Coronation coaches aren't due until September/October according to the recent Engine Shed and the shop ETAs. It's still about time for an OO announcement though.

Could be the new Playtrains - they're due in Summer.