Connector Advice

Hi guys I’m in the process of putting this layout together with DC power. Can anyone suggest where I would need to connect the power connectors to. I have two controllers and want to be able to power the whole track. It’s From Hornby Track Plans Edition 14 Page 51.

image.thumb.jpg.8f35319dacd4548aa50ddee27ef7be68.jpg

The first thing I would do is apply the rule "always feed power to the toe end of formations of points".  The "toe" is the blades end of the point.   So... you have 4 places where you have a pair of points toe-to-toe so I would add power feeds to those places. 

You have a headshunt arrangement in the inside sidings, that will need power feed for when the point is against the entry track.

You have crossovers between the two circuits, I would always fit isolating joiners between the point on crossovers if they are to be on different controllers.

So.. something like this for a first draft. Note that I'm assuming feed wires soldered to the track or using rail joiners with wires soldered underneath.  Many of the places I've marked won't be able to take a Hornby power connector.

feeds.jpg.53fc13e860433d92308851aa88f0f0f9.jpg

Edited by ntpntpntp
  • Thanks 1

Hello Haywire

You have two separate controllers.  The colors represent that separation.

Additionally, NTP placed white bars on your plan, indicating isolating fish plates.  Never connect two power supplies to each other, they must be isolated

Bee

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

To move a train loop to loop and thus transfer control from Controller A to controller B simply match speed and direction of both controllers before you throw the points. If direction is set contra then one controller will short the other.

Edit - following sight of @What About The Bee's additional info, my advice assumes the initial controller connections are with matched polarity.

• Like 1
  • Thanks 2

@Haywire52

To insure that 96RAF 's instruction functions properly, you must be careful to get the polarity right

Controller A: Green - ;  Yellow +

Controller B: Black - ; Red +

That is, green and black are both negative.  Yellow and red are positive.  

If you flip the polarity on one or the other, and follow @96RAF's instruction, it will short, every time.

Bee

• Like 1

To hold a loco/train in the through station of the outer loop and shunt the left yard, the top black/red must be removed, and the curved point next to the bottom black/red must be set to "yard".

To hold a loco/train in the right most siding, the green must be removed.

To hold a loco/train in the through station of the inner loop and shunt the right yard, the two points on the inner loop with the IRJs must be set to "diverge".

Hope this is good info. If not please make allowance for me posting at this at 8AM Sunday morning.

Edited by Gordonvale
  • Like 1

2 hours ago, Gordonvale said:

To hold a loco/train in the through station of the outer loop and shunt the left yard, the top black/red must be removed, and the curved point next to the bottom black/red must be set to "yard".

Nope, just set the points at either end of the platform against the route and the platform line is isolated while you shunt the yard. No need to remove the feed.

To hold a loco/train in the right most siding, the green must be removed.

Yes I'd make that feed switchable - not remove it. I'd probably add isolating joiners between those frog-to-frog points leading into that siding.   It was just a first draft / suggestion 🙂 

To hold a loco/train in the through station of the inner loop and shunt the right yard, the two points on the inner loop with the IRJs must be set to "diverge".

Yes correct.  Same principle as for the outer station platform area.  Assuming all the points are standard "power routing" without little wire links/clips fitted.

• Like 1

• 1 month later...
Posted (edited)
On 15/06/2024 at 14:15, ntpntpntp said:

The first thing I would do is apply the rule "always feed power to the toe end of formations of points".  The "toe" is the blades end of the point.   So... you have 4 places where you have a pair of points toe-to-toe so I would add power feeds to those places. 

You have a headshunt arrangement in the inside sidings, that will need power feed for when the point is against the entry track.

You have crossovers between the two circuits, I would always fit isolating joiners between the point on crossovers if they are to be on different controllers.

So.. something like this for a first draft. Note that I'm assuming feed wires soldered to the track or using rail joiners with wires soldered underneath.  Many of the places I've marked won't be able to take a Hornby power connector.

feeds.jpg.53fc13e860433d92308851aa88f0f0f9.jpg

On 16/06/2024 at 01:14, ntpntpntp said:

Nope, just set the points at either end of the platform against the route and the platform line is isolated while you shunt the yard. No need to remove the feed.

Yes I'd make that feed switchable - not remove it. I'd probably add isolating joiners between those frog-to-frog points leading into that siding.   It was just a first draft / suggestion 🙂 

Yes correct.  Same principle as for the outer station platform area.  Assuming all the points are standard "power routing" without little wire links/clips fitted.

Update guys so track is all ready to fasten down. I’ve used soldered power rail joiners from under the board. I’ve put isolating joiners where they are drawn on diagram. Anything else I need before I fasten the track down?

Edited by Haywire52

Not a fan of powered rail joiners, as the fishplate is the weakest link in the electrical supply chain to the rails. Better soldering you bus droppers to the rails not te weakest link.

• Like 2