Flying Scotsman steam.

8 hours ago, ColinB said:

It wasn't a Brio it was a cheap toy (well not really cheap) smoked and changed the light display. I must admit I wasn't that interested in it it, the woman in the gift shop said they had sold loads. Most toys have micros (usually some really cheap Pic derivative or Chinese equivalent) these days so controlling it is not that difficult.

I bought one from China for my nephew for £22.00 with smoke or steam (as we call it), light as well, all battery operated with carriages and track as well.

Link is below:

https://a.aliexpress.com/_EGkFSqj

4 hours ago, Deem said:

I bought one from China for my nephew for £22.00 with smoke or steam (as we call it), light as well, all battery operated with carriages and track as well.

Link is below:

https://a.aliexpress.com/_EGkFSqj

That is cheap for what it is. The one I saw was completely static, I think the wheels moved but it was on a stand. It was about £33.00 but then it was in their gift shop, so that was probably the recommended retail price. When you think about the technology must be relatively cheap as the Flying Scotsman is expensive, but not that expensive compared to Hornby's other models.

On 21/07/2024 at 16:46, LTSR_NSE said:

Oh dear, I can imagine the naysayers clacking away…

“if BRIO can offer that in a £40 loco… why does FS cost £250 more?”

🤦‍♂️

I noticed someone was selling the Queen Elizabeth 2 for over £600 on Ebay now that's scandalous.

Well, my new Scotsman finally arrived yesterday evening.

Although it's a lovely model, I wasn't too impressed with what I saw when I opened the packaging.

Fortunately, it pushed back in, but I do hope it's not supposed to be water tight.

20240725_182837.jpg

The smoke box door is merely a cover to hide the SS system inside - including the water reservoir. It's likely to only be an interference fit so probably down to the courier giving it a rough ride rather than anything else.

My wife and the visiting kids are out, so I gave the Scotsman a run on the rollers.

It worked well, although the sound seems a bit skitish at times, but I can live with that.

Although I ran it straight out of the box using my Digitrax controller, I also managed to alter the volume and acceleration/deceleration rates via the Bluetooth app.

• Like 2

4 minutes ago, atom3624 said:

She looks great Les.

I'd love to see them apply this tech to a Lord Nelson!!  8 beats per revolution!!

Al.

Yes, at least I have one of those.

I suppose, eventually, that 2nd hand broken/damaged Scotsmen and Black 5's will become available, giving those clever enough the chance to retrofit the smoke units into other loco's. Might be a while though.

2 hours ago, LesXRN said:

I suppose, eventually, that 2nd hand broken/damaged Scotsmen and Black 5's will become available, giving those clever enough the chance to retrofit the smoke units into other loco's. Might be a while though.

It is a bit difficult. You can fit the unit but there is some software in the HM7000 that makes it work. It is not so easy to retrofit that.

4 hours ago, LesXRN said:

My wife and the visiting kids are out, so I gave the Scotsman a run on the rollers.

It worked well, although the sound seems a bit skitish at times, but I can live with that.

Although I ran it straight out of the box using my Digitrax controller, I also managed to alter the volume and acceleration/deceleration rates via the Bluetooth app.

Very nice, I do have P2 with steam and W1 Hush Hush with steam is on pre order. This looks very cool and I might have consider buying this if I can get the money from some where. 

So my Scotsman arrived back today. No secret mark visible and so at least the packaging is new. The engine ran fine, and it was still  loaded with water which puffed and chuffed wonderfully. (Obviously the QA boys had tested it thoroughly before dispatch). One surprise to note however was that it had no sound profile loaded (as the previous one did have). 40 minutes later (awful broadband in chez moi) and the appropriate profile was downloaded and working. All well and good. Looking to 'belt and braces' the engine I switched it to DCC mode. It ran fine on the Elite controller. On Railmaster, I found problems however. With no exact profile to use I chose a couple of BR versions. Neither gave me any graduated speed control. It was either 0 or 1mph, in which 1 mph was flat out crazy fast. Any ideas on how to solve this? (apart from testing all the dozens of Scotsman profiles available one by one).

Paul. One thing I found when I altered the acceleration and deceleration rates was that I inadvertently set the deceleration to maximum, i.e, the slider fully across to the right on the phone app'. The problem was that slider then wouldn't move, so I had to delete everything regarding the loco and start again. After reloading the loco, it worked.

So, it seems it's a little buggy.

14 hours ago, ColinB said:

It is a bit difficult. You can fit the unit but there is some software in the HM7000 that makes it work. It is not so easy to retrofit that.

I did wonder if a Zimo would have the feature to turn on the steam as it happens. I guess we'll find out eventually.

Good to hear that you've got a working loco, Paul - I think everyone who reported faults on this thread has now been sorted out by Hornby?

I think the loco would have had the profile loaded, you probably just needed to set up the functions in the app rather than downloading the profile again.

The problem that you report in Railmaster is a bug in RM, not specific to the Flying Scotsman. Just choose any A3 with the correct BR livery and then set up the functions manually. You just need to delete and reinstall the loco in RM until the throttle slider works properly. It's been mentioned on this forum previously.

Regards, John

2 hours ago, LesXRN said:

I did wonder if a Zimo would have the feature to turn on the steam as it happens. I guess we'll find out eventually.

It is like the HSTs the HM7000 controls the fans I don't think the Zimo module does that either. It is possible to do, it is only a piece of software but it is a bit more complicated than adding a sound profile. The steam is dependant on speed and that input from one of the wheel sets from what I gather. Yes it is possible but I don't know whether Zimo would think it worth doing. Of course if Dapol were to make a loco with a similar feature, they usually get Zimo to do the sound decoder, so possibly they would transfer the technology across the range.

• Like 1

2 hours ago, Britannia Builder said:

Good to hear that you've got a working loco, Paul - I think everyone who reported faults on this thread has now been sorted out by Hornby?

I think the loco would have had the profile loaded, you probably just needed to set up the functions in the app rather than downloading the profile again.

The problem that you report in Railmaster is a bug in RM, not specific to the Flying Scotsman. Just choose any A3 with the correct BR livery and then set up the functions manually. You just need to delete and reinstall the loco in RM until the throttle slider works properly. It's been mentioned on this forum previously.

Regards, John

Wow! The old USB device trick - it always fits on the third way round. A couple of re-installs of the Scotsman in Railmaster and suddenly I have graduated speed control.

Thanks John!!