Flying Scotsman steam.

I've just run the Loco for at least half an hour, during this time I had to clear the chimney a few times and the steam gradually decreased from what was a large impressive plume when starting off to a mere whisp when starting off. The steam has now stopped completely even thought the chimney isn't blocked, I'm going to leave it for an hour or so and if there's no steam I'll refil it.

I've checked the global volume and turned it down to 27 I think it was about 45 before, it doesn't sound as bad but I wouldn't describe it as sounding particularly good. Maybe I'm expecting too much. I'll definitely have a go at fitting a bigger speaker at some point.

One other thing this is I've had an email from Hornby with the devide reset passcode with my previous TXS decoders, with this I haven't received one yet.

After trying the Loco again I realised the water had run out. I had removed the refil bung on two previous occasions with the aid of a microfibre cloth and found it easy, on this ocassion I didn't feel the need to use the cloth and whilst removing it slipped between my fingers and I've had a hell of a job finding it, the Loco was a foot from the edge of the board and somehow the bung had finished up on the floor. I'll be using the cloth next time.

Anyhow I've changed cv 211 from 65 to 60 as advised on here and the steam doesn't stop now but is much less impressive. I've seen a youtube video by Modeloco and when he did this the steam seemed much better than mine. I'm wandering if I've missed something.
I've reduced the global volume to 18 and the sound is much more acceptable, the rasping sound seems to be less noticeable.
Once more thanks again maybe one day I might be able to help someone but at the moment I'm very much on a learning curve. I much appreciate your help.

I had mine running for a good while today, also with 4 coaches in tow. I noticed 3 or 4 times that when the chimney got blocked by water, a puddle formed at the bottom of the smokebox door.

My mates A4 by TLR smoked very well and led me to wonder if the chimney hole is a bit too restrictive on the Scotsman. 

I wondered if reaming it out slightly would help, but that would be a big step to take at the moment. As a stop gap, I lowered the settings in CV's 211/2 which seemed to help.

I did lower the sound from the preset 50 to 35 too.

6 hours ago, Aussie Fred said:

" F1 invokes sound and steam initially but F24 toggles the steam on-off." According to the instructions which I always follow, (even though I am old and male) F24 is Aux 4 (HFO6) and is NOT a toggle? I did try it and nothing changed - I am using my Elite to control that particular line.

It is one of the logic HFOs. The manual is being revised so I will have to wait for chapter and verse.

5 hours ago, LesXRN said:

I had mine running for a good while today, also with 4 coaches in tow. I noticed 3 or 4 times that when the chimney got blocked by water, a puddle formed at the bottom of the smokebox door.

My mates A4 by TLR smoked very well and led me to wonder if the chimney hole is a bit too restrictive on the Scotsman. 

I wondered if reaming it out slightly would help, but that would be a big step to take at the moment. As a stop gap, I lowered the settings in CV's 211/2 which seemed to help.

I did lower the sound from the preset 50 to 35 too.

I've just put all the sounds into the railmaster app, Whilst doing this I let the Loco run slowly around my layout when finshed I saw a large puddle of water on the front of the Loco at the bottom of the smokebox door. I am now considering returning this Loco for a refund. I have the Black five pre ordered with Olivias trains I'm going to cancel that. It's such a shame this would have been fantastic if it worked. Maybe I've just got a bad one. In view of my experience and quite a few others I tend to think this system needs a bit more work.

Just a little update not having much joy with cv211 at 60 and 212 at 45 I tried putting 212 back to 50 and changed cv211 to 70. I can't believe the difference it's made the Loco has been round my layout which is a small oval 10ft x 5ft numerous times I lost count at 12 it only stopped steaming once and then it resumed without any intervention from me. I've just shut the layout down as I was getting a bit bored but the Loco was still steaming and showing no sign of stopping.

By the way there was no puddle at the bottom of the firebox. I am thinking the best cv settings for the steam generator might vary from one Loco to another. I now think I'll probably keep the Loco.

23 minutes ago, What About The Bee said:

If you are done, @Train Mad1707822774, remember to run the water reservoir dry.  Its not a good idea to store it with water in the tank

Bee

Thanks for that I never gave it a thought. I'd just refilled it before trying the cv changes so there's probably a bit left I'll run it now until it runs dry. Much appreciate your advice. Thanks again What About the Bee

• Like 1

1 hour ago, What About The Bee said:

If you are done, @Train Mad1707822774, remember to run the water reservoir dry.  Its not a good idea to store it with water in the tank

Bee

Well I've just run the Loco until the steam stopped it lasted another 20 minutes, it didn't just stop as I was expecting but for the first 10 minutes the steam was functioning normally good plumes of steam with every chuff then the steam became whispy and gradually reduced until it eventually stopped. I did notice water or condensation on the top of the boiler going as far back as just before the drivers cab, I suppose this is normal I just wiped it off so it's not a problem. Thanks again you probably saved me a big headache tomorrow.

• Like 1

It stands to reason that of all the ultrasonic water droplets expelled upwards from the chimney, a handful may drop back down onto the boiler. 

The LMR had this issue as well.  What went up through the chimney came down on the passengers.  Canopies were installed to keep the cinders off of passengers.

Bee

• Like 1

Something else to think about ,my layout is in a cabin at the bottom of my garden, last week it was far too hot here to even venture up the garden let alone open the cabin,today it was a lot cooler so I went for a running session what did I find ?the water in my pow and scottie had all evaporated in the heat so no steam till I refilled them,so if your layout is in a shed cabin or loft the weather could be one reason for intermittent steaming ,just a thought 

• Like 1

• 3 weeks later...

I had my FS running for the first time today. It stopped "steaming" after about five minutes. I tried changing a few CV's and adding the extra 1ml of water as discussed earlier in this thread - to no avail. However I found by giving the loco some extra welly the steam appears to be now working well.