Prices rising 1st September?

4 hours ago, Rallymatt said:

It could even be a retailer who is trying to increase sales, that’s an old trick

Let's hope so. Hornby is very well aware (according to their annual reports) that prices are a hot topic, and high prices are keeping people from entering and staying in the hobby. Of course, some products demand high prices as they are expensive to produce. It does not rule out that cheaper products cannot also be produced. Personally, I like the Railroad and Railroad Plus ranges. I think they are good value.

We'll see what happens.

I don't know if this has anything to do with it but Bure Valley has increased the price of the 21 pin HM7000, the 8 bit is out of stock so they are still at the old price. Bure Valley was discounting them more than other retailers, so perhaps Hornby reminded them of the rules. Bure Valley are pretty genuine, so I doubt they would reduce their discount and thus increase the price without a reason. 

There are no rules on selling prices or even advertising massively discounted prices. A manufacturer would be committing serious offences if they even told a retailer to observe ‘pricing rules’  

22 minutes ago, Rallymatt said:

There are no rules on selling prices or even advertising massively discounted prices. A manufacturer would be committing serious offences if they even told a retailer to observe ‘pricing rules’  

Ok there is a guide that says basically 10% discount. There are lots of rules like that, remember the Levis saga. If I remember rightly it was 10 % discount for so many months, then you can can increase it, which in effect is what happens. A lot of this stuff is guide only, for the reasons you state. Either way the price has gone up, they are still the cheapest.

Certainly in my time as a Hornby retailer and, I suspect, until very recently if not a current requirement, goods are only supplied on the understanding no greater discount than 10% will be offered for a given period from the product's release, with sanctions up to (if I remember correctly) withdrawal of dealership status for breaches.  And this is not limited to just Hornby . 

2 minutes ago, Darren-373700 said:

Well, nothing much is available from Hornby at the moment  .... sooo?

Really I am surprised. I was on there today looking up loco part numbers for the SS Flying Scotsman and the Hornby Dublo A4s and they were still in stock but then that was as far as I looked. Then in some respects I suppose they would be they are really expensive items.

1 minute ago, Rallymatt said:

You are suggesting Price Fixing is being engaged in Colin, be very very careful, it could get expensive for you. 

No I am not, if you read my actual words, there will be a guide, no mention of price fixing. So if you want to you can discount more but when was the last time you saw a newly released model for less than 10 % off. In actual fact on many occasions if the model price goes up between preorder and fimal sales by the retailer you have to pay more. In fact on one of my locos I ordered from a retailer they actually mentioned that. In law that is "hear say", end of story.

8 minutes ago, Going Spare said:

Certainly in my time as a Hornby retailer and, I suspect, until very recently if not a current requirement, goods are only supplied on the understanding no greater discount than 10% will be offered for a given period from the product's release, with sanctions up to (if I remember correctly) withdrawal of dealership status for breaches.  And this is not limited to just Hornby . 

Thank you Going Spare I knew I read it somewhere. There are many ways to enforce it without breaking the law. As I quoted with the Levi case, it also happens with lots of products. With cars it is totally different, I had a friend in Sales that explained it all.

If BV have raised the price of the 21 pin HM7k Decoders, it may well be due to getting new stock in at a higher price ... or having not many left and not able to get more.

They had 5 a few weeks back and I bought 2, and at those prices they were a steal, so I wouldn't be surprised if the other 3 got snapped up.

Edit, just checked, yes they now have new stock as showing 34, and still way below the price of anyone else I am aware of.

Due to the lack of 8 pin, I converted a couple of locos to 21 pin. I also (and it pains me to admit it 😖) paid over the odds for an 8 pin yesterday, but @ £76 delivered it was cheaper than any I could find in stock, and I did have some nectar points so I only actually spent £66 on it 😄

Edited by Too Tall
added a line

19 minutes ago, Rallymatt said:

Good Luck 

I don't know why you are saying that, what is wrong with you guys I get this from 96RAF all the time. As I said there will be guides as to the discounts allowed, all companies do that, now if you want to discount more then that there are ways without breaking the law to stop it. Just do a bit of lateral thinking. They can take away your Hornby franchise, sure you can sue them, best of luck with that as a small retailer. Anyway this has nothing to do with the subject so just leave it at that.

"Too Tall" came up with probably the best reason Hornby increased the price that Retailers pay for them. They are hard to come by, so the good old "supply and demand" curve kicks in.

13 minutes ago, Too Tall said:

If BV have raised the price of the 21 pin HM7k Decoders, it may well be due to getting new stock in at a higher price ... or having not many left and not able to get more.

They had 5 a few weeks back and I bought 2, and at those prices they were a steal, so I wouldn't be surprised if the other 3 got snapped up.

Due to the lack of 8 pin, I converted a couple of locos to 21 pin. I also (and it pains me to admit it 😖) paid over the odds for an 8 pin yesterday, but @ £76 delivered it was cheaper than any I could find in stock, and I did have some nectar points so I only actually spent £66 on it 😄

The 21 pin is a better bet anyway they fit better. The trouble is the new 21 pin pcb that you can buy as a spare doesn't fit the DCC space in a Duchess tender without touching the edge, the earlier 21 pin part fits a lot better but they cost a fortune if you can get them.

Search RPM (Retail Price Maintenance)  click on the .Gov.UK site for the CMA. Read the law governing what you are asserting. 
You also completely misunderstand the term ‘Hearsay’ It won’t save you. 

If what you are claiming is true then you could be a consumer hero. If you are wrong then Hornby could sue you for everything and you would not win, absolutely zero chance. 
As I said, Good Luck, I genuinely am trying to save you from yourself Colin. Think where you are writing this. 

Edited by Rallymatt

11 minutes ago, ColinB said:

The 21 pin is a better bet anyway they fit better. The trouble is the new 21 pin pcb that you can buy as a spare doesn't fit the DCC space in a Duchess tender without touching the edge, the earlier 21 pin part fits a lot better but they cost a fortune if you can get them.

Sorry going OT somewhat, but the part I got was X7880, no idea if old or new, and I don't actually have a tender top for the Duchess Tender chassis as I am holding off on that for now, (may get the new Duchess when its out, love that blue). but its nowhere near any edges, so I am guessing I got the older one. In the Britannia I used a Lais 21 pin PCB.

Edited by Too Tall

• RB51 locked this topic

There are rumours on that well known social media book that Hornby prices are going to increase. Retailers have had and email stating that they will be "increasing the price on selected products" but will honour pre-ordered prices. It might be an idea to get some pre-orders in within the next seven days.

• RB51 locked this topic