Drawers under base board

A lot will depend on the height of your boards from the floor. My boards are about a metre from the floor, so B&Q kitchen base unit and wall units are used. One 1000mm base unit even has doors and legs - so storage boxes will slide underneath.  This means a dust free environment for the boxed loco's. As the base units do not have "worktops" on top of them, I use 5mm card from Hobby Craft. Using these units might be considered an expensive option, but they are neat and tidy - and I did not buy them all in one go.

Edited by Bulleidboy
  • Thanks 1

If you are storing things in their boxes, I would recommend looking at Really Useful Boxes. The 64 litre ones can fit at least 20 boxed large locomotives, could be 24. Make sure all of the labels face the same way. Equally good for coaches and freight stock. I have 8 of them, very easy to locate items in storage. I think B&M were doing 2 for £20 recently, might still be going. Not associated with either company.

41 minutes ago, Bulleidboy said:

A lot will depend on the height of your boards from the floor. My boards are about a metre from the floor, so B&Q kitchen base unit and wall units are used. One 1000mm base unit even has doors and legs - so storage boxes will slide underneath.  This means a dust free environment for the boxed loco's. As the base units do not have "worktops" on top of them, I use 5mm card from Hobby Craft. Using these units might be considered an expensive option, but they are neat and tidy - and I did not buy them all in one go.

79 cm floor to underside of baseboard

I have several redundant chests of drawers on castors under my boards. When under-board access is required they roll out. The drawers are ideal depth for typical loco boxes.

I use foam lined cardboard storage boxes for excess stock. They are quick and easy to fill/remove items from so encourages putting things safe straight away. You can also load them up with complete trains/rakes. Using the retail packs can be quite fiddly and some people prefer to keep those pristine (not me, my trains are to be played with 😁

Some unsolicited suggestions?

Mount track in the cubby holes, so the locomotives sit on rail, not on wood.  They will look more formally arranged, as the rail will be uniform, cubby hole to cubby hole. They will be less likely to go cliff diving, as the rails will prevent them from sliding towards the edge if bumped.

Use the cubby holes that have a vertical stop on both sides.  The locomotives on top left and top right terrify me.  Voted most likely to go cliff diving.

I think that looks very good indeed Francis.  Locomotives, even off layout, deserve to be seen

Bee

• Thanks 1

11 hours ago, Aussie Fred said:

Looks good, are you getting a longer one for big locos with tenders.

Was just thinking that my self. Loco on display coaches in storage. That way I'll remember what I have. I have a particular fascination with little locos at the moment. I got the display unit online, can't remember the site though. 

10 hours ago, What About The Bee said:

Some unsolicited suggestions?

Mount track in the cubby holes, so the locomotives sit on rail, not on wood.  They will look more formally arranged, as the rail will be uniform, cubby hole to cubby hole. They will be less likely to go cliff diving, as the rails will prevent them from sliding towards the edge if bumped.

Use the cubby holes that have a vertical stop on both sides.  The locomotives on top left and top right terrify me.  Voted most likely to go cliff diving.

I think that looks very good indeed Francis.  Locomotives, even off layout, deserve to be seen

Bee

Excellent suggestions

• Like 1