David Clarke's Fantastic Layout

Whilst browsing YouTube, I encountered this

The signaling and switching of points is mechanically linked to a signal box, or so it seems.  3 men to operate the signal box.  5 others to drive the trains.

Trust me, this is well worth your time.  Simply a marvelous layout 

Bee

• Like 1

Access could be interesting!

Lovely scenery.

Makes you wonder how many of this calibre of layout exist.  Seems like each week I'm 'finding' another one.

Totally agreed, a fantastic layout.

Al.

• Thanks 1

Each of us finds the fun with different focus @Aussie Fred.  it appears that for David Clarke, it was the creation of the signaling system, the point interlockings and the signal box.  The layout exists to support that system, not the other way round.

There is a line by the narrator, something to the effect that 'the signal box men drive the signals, And the train drivers respond to the signals'.  The fun for the club appears to be Operations and in managing the Signal box.  It may not be the fun I am after, but I can see those lads are knee deep!

Bee

Hi Bee - a very nice layout - I found it a few weeks ago. While browsing you should look at Cheshire Railcraft. A young couple are looking after Over Peover - John Ryan's huge 0 gauge layout - 120' x 26'. It would appear John Ryan ( former Chairman of Doncaster Rovers FC) has sold his house along with the railway (the layout alone valued at £600K). I can hear the estate agent saying to a prospective house purchaser "Oh by the way, there is a model railway in a shed in the garden'. It would appear the railway came with most, if not all of the rolling stock. The young couple do not know a lot about model railways, and referred to it as a "large train set" - as you can imagine, that raised a few negative comments.

Edited by Bulleidboy

I was always fascinated by the 3 rail ‘North Midland Railway’ that was in a number of the modelling magazines and featured in the Model Railway Constructor annual 1979. Although I never saw it personally it looked huge in the photos and I think it had moving ships as well. Nothing like the standards we would expect today scenery wise but a huge functioning model railway. 

Posted (edited)
8 hours ago, Bulleidboy said:

... While browsing you should look at Cheshire Railcraft....

At your recommendation, I did.  Wow!  The bespoke track work into the station was simply  ....  well, for once, I may be at a loss for words

[ 😁  Hilarious, I know! ]

I frankly think their naivete about terminology charming.  Terminology can be learned.  Their enthusiasm seems genuine.  They earned my subscription. 

Thank you for sharing

Bee

Edited by What About The Bee
Forgot a word..... 😆
  • Thanks 1