2013 Range Announcement Time and Date

poliss

Following last years confusion, this appears a good idea. I noticed this morning that the January 2013 edition of Model Rail is on the shelves. They jumped the gun last year, and I suppose there February 2013 edition, which might contain details of new

releases, might be available by December 17th?

poliss said:

Pre means before, so pre-order means before order. There's already a perfectly good word which is 'reserve'. I blame Microsoft.

I have not looked up the definition, but if you reserve, have you committed to buy? If

you pre-order, I think it arrives and you pay for it.

No, because you have the right to cancel under selling regulations. I also see elsewhere people saying 'I pre-booked tickets'. That's another impossible thing.

Microsoft started off the fashion by saying software came 'pre-installed'. It didn't. The

software came 'installed'.

fazy said:

should this not be called the 2014 poss 2015 with some canceled range!!

i would like to see more 0-6-0 tender locos and a ex LNWR,WCJS or even a MR push/pull

I have just taken delivery of a beautiful 0-6-0

tender loco fully and elaborately lined out in Brunswick Green with brass dome and indian red frames, smooth little runner, but not Hornby, nor is it GW. It is a pity Hornby hasn't turned this one out. I did suggest it to them ages ago. They missed a trick

there I think.

poliss said:
Microsoft started off the fashion by saying software came 'pre-installed'. It didn't. The software came 'installed'.

Long before Microsoft, though it did originate in the US:

According to the OED:
pre-order,

n.
The placing of an order before an item is available or required; an order of this type, an advance order.
1957 President's Rep.1955–56 (Univ. Michigan) 273 Further increase in the Order Department staff..should enable the Library to keep its work

of preorder searching more nearly current.

Yes, but it wasn't fashionable until microsoft started using 'pre' with the wrong meaning.

The OED just reflects the rubbish spoken these days.

I'm not sure what the Michigan reference means. Is it about searching for books before they order them?

"more nearly current" appears to be nonsense, like "more better" would be.

Archived