Point motor or working from BUS

Hi all

first post, first credit and reference to Warwick’s. Post in 2019 in relation to my question 

Side not first just bought latest Hornby Flying Scotsman 21 pin  with steam 

love it 

to question 

peco 10 e point motor

works on table from a ancient Hornby Mecanno   The AC outputs 19.5   It also works pushing points on track when I wire directly to one individual point from under table 

but the BUS accessory line will not even operate the point ( using powercab)

in fact if I wire the NCE powercab directly as a main power source to Point motor while holding point in my hand so no resistance on motor.  It won’t switch 

So if I understand Warwick it is not going to and I should not try

problem then is the power cab does not provide a aux port

do I need to get a separate power supply 

if so can I get advice on which one to purchase 

the meccano one I have is very old and I don’t trust it to not catch alight eventually 

For interest is a Hornby II power control unit 

Pic attached for amusement purposes 

anyone know how old this could be 

IMG_8519.png

3 hours ago, Ian-1317656 said:

anyone know how old this could be 

Yes. 

Hello Ian and Welcome Aboard.

The power controller appears under two names, Marshal II and Hornby II.  Identical case and configuration.  Late 1950s to 1960s.

Bee

Edited by What About The Bee
Clarity

I'm a bit confused by what you've written about the point motor?  Are you trying to operate the solenoid point motor  over DCC using an accessory decoder connected to the motor, or are you simply trying to use DCC power and push buttons or a toggle switch to fire the point motor?  For it to be switched using DCC it needs an accessory decoder.   

I wouldn't waste the available DCC track power from the PowerCab to provide raw power for point motors.   If you're not operating the point motors via DCC  then use a separate power supply (preferably about 18V) and a Capacitor Discharge Unit (CDU) which will allow a strong but brief "thump" of power and then protect against burn-out if the power is on too long. Use momentary switches or push-buttons.

Edited by ntpntpntp