Peco set track

Peachy

4 hours ago, david_watts1 said:

I think Peco may have missed the boat. For people like me who prefer the simplicity of set track, I already have 2 sets plus a lot of extra stuff to make my desired layout. I like the clickety-clack produced by the Hornby lengths. The geometry of Peco is different to other providers which is a strange decision, along with the code 55 rail. Surely it would have been better for Peco to make all of their track compatible with current stock. I wish them well in their endeavour, but I shan't be buying any.

My track plan is also "finished" and laid. But there are many people just starting or optimizing.

Nevertheless, Peco has a good chance with me, as I like to rebuild and optimize the track plan. Appropriate curved points with radius R3 and R4 alone would give me the chance to replan the main route and place necessary but space-consuming track-changes in the curve. At the moment my train station is 1.7m long, and I like to enlarge it.

The first basic rule in model making: a model is never completely finished. There are always opportunities for improvement.

And if you think you're finished, you can always start a new layout. This is currently my third model railway board, and the previous ones were also TT gauge. The reason for the change was the larger available space, not the opinion that I was finished.

Edited by Ilmson
  • Like 4

Mine's laid and ballasting started so no more changes. It uses Hornby points and a mixture of Hornby for the curves, Peco for the front main line and sidings and Peco H0m for the fiddle yard. The only thing I'm not clear about is what fishplates they've used on the setrack, if they have used the N/009 ones then they're not compatible with Hornby or Tillig which would be a shame.

9 minutes ago, Hobby11 said:

if they have used the N/009 ones then they're not compatible with Hornby or Tillig which would be a shame.

The Setrack stuff is using the same code 55 double T rail, so it'll be the same N rail joiners.   I think we have to accept this Peco Setrack isn't going to be directly plug-and-play compatible with the other brands which have a wider foot to the rail.    I'm really not a fan of mixing brands of track anyway, but if the Hornby or Tillig joiners can make a connect that's good enough.  

• Like 1

@Hobby11 as @ntpntpntp says, it’s their standard N gauge fishplates, albeit with a curled down end to make them safer to use (see close up in my video) 

They’re not permanently fixed, so easy enough to pull of and replace with the fishplate of your choice…. (For your next build in two years time 😉 😀)

• Like 2

Late to this thread, but just to echo what has already been said - this is exactly why I continue to use this forum so avidly - lots of helpful conversation, variety of views and experience levels, and all done with complete civility throughout. Really enjoyed reading through it - as you were chaps... 🫡

• Like 5

I don't think PECO is late to the game. There will be people starting tomorrow, and the day after that and next year.

Combining Setrack and Flexitrack is a lost art. Many sees this as a one or the other. The idea of using Setrack where the flexi ability is not needed is a good way to get something done. Especially if Flexitrack is not your thing or you don't want to mess around with it too much.

Edited by HST Mainline
Spelling
  • Like 3

7 minutes ago, Hobby11 said:

I am surprised that they've not done an R3 to go with the R2

My guess is that since they have done R2, they will absolutely be doing more - it would be a bizarre choice to only offer this amount of set-track. Remember Peco know track better than anyone. I'm assuming this is just the beginning of a whole range - the only question to my mind is how quickly are they able to bring it to market, because without a complete system it could hamper sales of this initial batch. 

• Like 1

I've used Hornby track from sets and bundles acquired so far. I've purchased some extra Hornby points and a few odds and sods from Ebay and Rails. I joined them to Peco flexi track from day 1 using loads of extra Hornby fishplates obtained here and there - one of the first things learnt from this very forum.

I've no Peco points currently. I've not got any track laid permantly either (plans keep changing!) so I might get some Peco unifrog points to see if there is any real difference. I'm hoping to make a start (yep, another one) in the next couple of months.

• Like 1

6 hours ago, GMD said:

My guess is that since they have done R2, they will absolutely be doing more - it would be a bizarre choice to only offer this amount of set-track. Remember Peco know track better than anyone. I'm assuming this is just the beginning of a whole range - the only question to my mind is how quickly are they able to bring it to market, because without a complete system it could hamper sales of this initial batch. 

Just spoken to Peco. More is definitely in the pipeline! 
But after some of the negative feedback they got because the 7 planks took soo long to actually be available after advertised release and production samples shown (for many reasons out of their control) They’ve decided to revert back to their usual position of only announcing stuff when much closer to actual release. (Like this track & the signals).
Definite stuff to come; More wagons, Streamline points & Set-track.  None of which at the production detriment of each other. 

I’m so looking forward to the National Festival of Railway Modeling in November, Peco will be there and it’s just too big a show not to have something to announce 😉

• Like 2

Hi, the seven plank wagons are superb and nobody should ever be critical of timescales to introduction, but we do need freight stock from early BR era through to bang up to date to encourage youngsters.  My newsagent stocks Hornby TT120 and can see the appeal over N gauge for youngsters - need the wagons to go with the forthcoming class 66s

• Like 1

9 minutes ago, Paul-41ATI said:

Hi, the seven plank wagons are superb and nobody should ever be critical of timescales to introduction, but we do need freight stock from early BR era through to bang up to date to encourage youngsters.  My newsagent stocks Hornby TT120 and can see the appeal over N gauge for youngsters - need the wagons to go with the forthcoming class 66s

It could be a long time for many different wagons to appear but you can modify what is already available. Here I have cut down 7 plank wagons to make 1 plank, 3 plank, and 5 plank versions.

FB_IMG_1723483415835.jpg

• Like 6

2 minutes ago, Rallymatt said:

I take the same approach with my yet to be delivered 9f ! 🤣

Mine needs looking at, sadly after painting the chassis and wheels the wheels keep locking up. The big problem in my view is the soft polythene coupling rods (and valve gear) used. If a wheel has just a small tight spot the rods just bellow out, a metal one would either not turn or be strong enough to overcome the issue.

One day when I have "spare" time I will look into it again. Who knows Hornby may beat me to it.

• Like 2

4 hours ago, GMD said:

Review of Signals now live on MacTrains

And a very nice review it is, thank you 🙂 They are very detailed and I like them, but I think a little too fine for my old eyes to successful glue together and paint! 

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1