Hornby R2898XS Front bogey equivalent

Deem

Hornby R2898XS Front bogey equivalent

I just acquired Hornby R2898XS as non runner (fairly cheap with working TTS decoder present) with few issue's. Most of them either I have fixed or found parts to fix, only issue remaining is front bogey missing the screw, spring and nut to hold the front bogey, I do have mounting bracket, which is held in chassis by a screw. I could drill a hole and use maybe 2mm or 3mm screw cut to correct length and secure the bogey to mounting bracket, but the original part had screw moulded in the front bogey so my question is:

As I can't get hold of part number R9929 ( New Modeller is showing, on order, not in stock) which other model have same or similar bogey which I can use and keep my loco authentic?

Regards

The XS suffix denotes an early Hornby sound model fitted with a 21-pin ESU decoder loaded with a Hornby file. The decoder is not TTS and will be either a v30, 3.5 or 4, which means either a (very rare) 100 Ω speaker or an 8  Ω speaker. You can re-blow these using a legacy file from the ESU site providing you have a Lokprogrammer and a PC to run the free ESU software. The short function list for these decoders is in the support section here - https://support.hornby.com/hc/en-gb/article_attachments/360015937720

It is the infamous Schools class, I have never managed to find a replacement front bogie they are extremely rare. On my one I did as you suggested, drilled a hole in it and used a bolt. There was a previous post about it with some photos.

Is the front bogie the "infamous" bit?  I have two and they both run well and nothing has fallen off. One I bought new when Hattons had a "half-price deal" back in 2009, and the other an ebay purchase, where someone(?) had removed the sound decoder. So I replaced it with the new HM7000 kit - renumbered/renamed to 30901 - Winchester. Both bogies still in place.

3 minutes ago, Bulleidboy said:

Is the front bogie the "infamous" bit?  I have two and they both run well and nothing has fallen off. One I bought new when Hattons had a "half-price deal" back in 2009, and the other an ebay purchase, where someone(?) had removed the sound decoder. So I replaced it with the new HM7000 kit - renumbered/renamed to 30901 - Winchester. Both bogies still in place.

There are two sorts the early ones which are dreadful, you seem to be always adjusting the pickups and then the later where Hornby obviously realised their mistake and improved it. The infamous referred to the fact you get never get one as a spare. Even when Hornby rerelease this model you still can't get the front bogie as a spare. The one I have where it was broken, I bought it like that and repaired it, the others I have work ok although the diecast boiler does have a habit of separating itself from the rest of the loco. Probably some of that dodgy glue they used for a certain period.

22 hours ago, 96RAF said:

The XS suffix denotes an early Hornby sound model fitted with a 21-pin ESU decoder loaded with a Hornby file. The decoder is not TTS and will be either a v30, 3.5 or 4, which means either a (very rare) 100 Ω speaker or an 8  Ω speaker. You can re-blow these using a legacy file from the ESU site providing you have a Lokprogrammer and a PC to run the free ESU software. The short function list for these decoders is in the support section.

Thanks @96RAF, as soon I see a factory fitted sound decoder in Hornby I automatically assume it is TTS, this is my second loco from Hornby with ESU decoder and I should remember that, but what can I say.

Posted (edited)
22 hours ago, ColinB said:

It is the infamous Schools class, I have never managed to find a replacement front bogie they are extremely rare. On my one I did as you suggested, drilled a hole in it and used a bolt. There was a previous post about it with some photos.

I have found the post and thanks for directing me @ColinB. Didn't find any pictures in that post though, but not to worry. At the moment it seem that drilling a hole is the only option, but as I am going through few laptops and couple of my other Loco's, whom parts have arrived from Lendon, I will keep looking for something suitable or compatible comes along, if not than ultimately it will be drilling a hole with screw or bolt route.

Edited by Deem

On 16/08/2024 at 07:24, 96RAF said:

The XS suffix denotes an early Hornby sound model fitted with a 21-pin ESU decoder loaded with a Hornby file. The decoder is not TTS and will be either a v30, 3.5 or 4, which means either a (very rare) 100 Ω speaker or an 8  Ω speaker. You can re-blow these using a legacy file from the ESU site providing you have a Lokprogrammer and a PC to run the free ESU software. The short function list for these decoders is in the support section.

Just to confirm what Rob said - I have just checked the paperwork that came with this loco, and it is fitted with a LokSound V3.0 decoder by ESU.

1 hour ago, Bulleidboy said:

Just to confirm what Rob said - I have just checked the paperwork that came with this loco, and it is fitted with a LokSound V3.0 decoder by ESU.

I have added a link to the XS ops manual in my previous post.

• Thanks 1