McDonnell Douglas Phantom FG.1 | A06016 | 1:72

Tour de Airfix

1 hour ago, Dominic Thomas said:

Where’s the fuselage serial?

Wow! Good spot. I totally missed that. The majority of the 250 decals are on a separate instruction sheet and the Serial Number is on the colour scheme one 🤦‍♂️

I still have the ones not used so will get right on to that tomorrow. 😊

• Like 1

Also, did this particular aircraft have ILS (?) aerials on the fin?

Having completed it, I’m not sure it should have. Indeed when I was fitting the fin decals the little wing got in the way BUT it was specifically called for in the instructions for this [A] decal version 🤷‍♂️

IMG_4146.thumb.jpeg.ab940a6d467645c765ffa4d2e8c7b4b6.jpeg

However, looking at the picture of “006” that I posted earlier, this has the squared top to the tail fin (the Marconi Radar Warning Receiver, I believe) while the alternative fin in the kit does not. So it’s interesting one. 

• Like 1

2 hours ago, Valhalla said:

I give up then, you win 🙂

The canopy. I masked it based on the top down picture omitting to notice the obvious side windows in the centre section between the pilots. 

IMG_4147.thumb.jpeg.d9dc9d500fa5f7646d3ba96da6043c2f.jpeg

Schoolboy error!

I was going try to scratch the paint off with a wooden toothpick which normally works quite well but as it’s not jumped out to anyone else, probably because the darkness of the surface, I may leave it alone and trust no one else spots it. 🤔

I don’t really want to draw any more attention to it by having a scratched up or messy canopy! 

Jonathan 

• Like 1

F4Ks had elongated front undercarriage legs to increase the angle of attack on take off from carriers. 

1 hour ago, SD45elect2000 said:

Front landing strut too long.

Randall

As Dominic said … it’s in launch mode 🚀

IMG_4148.thumb.jpeg.9488a39f32d568eb08a6804a48a9b6b8.jpeg

Ah, I see what you mean now. Hardly noticeable though and you'd be right to leave it I think.

Just out of curiosity, do you know what the open panels are toward the rear of the engine?

Ian

• Thanks 1

On the fin horizontal aerials again, the photo you posted above of 003 doesn’t have them, and the several photos of 007 in later markings that I’ve seen don’t have them. I wonder if anyone has a picture of a Navy Phantom with them?

From my subsequent research, the ILS aerials appear to have been added either after 1978 of if the jet had seen service with the RAF. There are two photos of 010 with and without them but on closer inspection they are two different aircraft. It seems while operating on Ark Royal, they probably were not fitted. 
As for the doors in front of the exhausts, these are auxiliary air inlets. 

Edited by Dominic Thomas
  • Like 1
  • Thanks 1

6 hours ago, Dominic Thomas said:

On the fin horizontal aerials again, the photo you posted above of 003 doesn’t have them, and the several photos of 007 in later markings that I’ve seen don’t have them. I wonder if anyone has a picture of a Navy Phantom with them?

Here are 3 that I’ve found from a poster that’s available for sale online

IMG_4162.jpeg.af60ca8d6e477a828140fd37ada42285.jpeg

and there’s another here 

https://www.airhistory.net/photo/205096/XV586

I wonder what archive information Airfix used for the model. That would be interesting. 

15 hours ago, Valhalla said:

Just out of curiosity, do you know what the open panels are toward the rear of the engine?

I read that they are Auxiliary Intake / Air Ejector Doors. I believe they are used to vent excess air pressure from the engines and provide cooling air.

67C1B02A-E848-4A0F-994F-47063BCCEBC1.thumb.jpeg.c7931293edf41d4eaf5a714e28185dd1.jpeg

They apparently open when wheels are lowered. Others may have more technical information. 

• Thanks 1

I finally fitted those serial numbers. I can see how I lost sight of them as they are with the decals for another of the aircraft. 

085F6D4A-CACD-4A64-B49B-FE34C4B659B5.thumb.jpeg.9b3f28fb090acf1ae9d9820c9ba7c42e.jpeg

Then disaster struck! As I turned the model around I must have caught the starboard decal with my finger and totally lost it! 

So into the decals box I had to go to make up a new set from the smallest letters and numbers I possess. As they are not side by side with the originals you’d hardly notice but what a pain! 

• Sad 1

I couldn’t resist closing my build report with a few more shots of my Phantom sat ready to launch  

IMG_4156.thumb.jpeg.aefd5ddf1954fd5eb7975fad7a1f3404.jpeg

No. 892 NAS R-007 / XT864 HMS Ark Royal (R09) November 1974

IMG_4157.thumb.jpeg.d765ec997fb042b4d99e62130deeb376.jpeg

IMG_4158.thumb.jpeg.3884a68e89a4079f95c95ce726a5fb1e.jpeg

Thanks for all the feedback and discussions on this fabulous Airfix kit and my efforts to build it. 

• Like 9

1 hour ago, Tour de Airfix said:

and there’s another here 

I wonder what archive information Airfix used for the model. That would be interesting. 

Couldn’t resist. The pictures of these F4s with the ILS fitted all have the red/white/blue/royal crest on the nose, which probably dates the pairing to mid to late 70s (1976 onwards). I have yet to see pictures of the aircraft with the ILS on the fin and without these nose markings. Just saying …..

Edited by Dominic Thomas
  • Like 1

43 minutes ago, Dominic Thomas said:

Couldn’t resist. The pictures of these F4s with the ILS fitted all have the red/white/blue/royal crest on the nose, which probably dates the pairing to mid to late 70s (1976 onwards). I have yet to see pictures of the aircraft with the ILS on the fin and without these nose markings. Just saying …..

I totally agree .. I can also find none looking like my Airfix one 😞 Strangely enough, another scale modeller shared with me his build of this aircraft in 1/48 scale with the red/white/blue/ royal crest on the nose from Hasegawa and this one didn't have the ILS fitted!

2 hours ago, Tour de Airfix said:

• Like 1

19 hours ago, Tour de Airfix said:

and there’s another here 

I think that the picture taken from a poster has been photoshopped or is CGI, as the phantoms are carrying AIM-9L sidewinders, which didn't enter British service until 1982 (Supplied by the States for the Falklands conflict on Sea Harriers). The picture in the link is more modern, and I believe was a special scheme applied to an RAF FG.1 on the types retirement. Note that it is also carrying 'Lima' sidewinder drill rounds. It's also the same aircraft in the poster, repeated 3 times (look at the details, they are all exactly the same, apart from the code), note how the codes are all '0' and '1', no other numbers!

As for the ILS (Instrument landing System) Aerials, they where usually not fitted to Navy aircraft, as ILS could not be used on an aircraft carrier. 

• Like 2

Well spotted PMM. 
My reference book tells me that 13 aircraft had the red/white/blue/(badge) on the nose, applied in June 1977. The badge was mainly the number 77 with the Queen’s crown above. The exception was coded 002 and it had the Prince of Wales crown relating to a visit by Prince Charles earlier in the Jubilee. 
Following the Silver Jubilee Review, the ‘crowned 77’ was changed to the squadron badge on all aircraft, which was carried until 27 November 1978 when the last 10 aircraft left Ark Royal for RAF St. Athan. 

• 2 weeks later...